Chapter 5

[POV: Narrator]

It had just struck twelve on the evening of the first Formula One race of the season. A post-race event was planned, as it always was, for the drivers and their close friends and family.

Andreanna Saunterre did not want to attend this gathering. But there she was, two hours late, arriving at the venue in her (purposefully) dressed-down outfit, knowing fully well - since she'd attended one before - that this event was suited for much more formal attires.

"A least try to look less miserable, Andreanna." Her father told her as they arrived, the two of them walking a great distance away from eachother, thanks to Andi's stubbornness. She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms.

"How can I? When I've been limited to one drink." She mumbled, though loud enough for her dad to her what she had said. To this, he (almost) said, "It's for your own good." but was cut short since Andi took off as soon as they'd entered the venue, not wanting to hear the same sentence that had been repeated to her over and over once more.

The bar was where she was headed; Who'd have thought? The question of if she ever got there, though, was answered when a much-too-loud voice shouted...

"And-aaaaaa-y!" She heard - wondering who wouldn't have - and turned around promptly, knowing exactly who it was. There was only one man who introduced himself in such a way.

"Ma-aaaa-x...?" She mimicked him back, slightly more cautiously and in a much quieter voice.

Just as Max was about to open his mouth once again, he felt a tap on his shoulder, causing him to whip round and almost take out the boy who'd tapped him with his flailing arms.

"Land-oooooo!" He shouted once again, wrapping an arm around him and peering over his shoulder. As he did so, Lando noticed Andreanna and greeted her with a smile and a nod. "No way—" Max began, letting Lando go. "And you brought this guy!" he said, calmer, letting the two boys join in. If Andreanna had seen who was following behind Lando, she'd have ditched this small group-meet before it could form.

The boy slotted himself in between Lando and Max, momentarily spotting the girl who had not yet said a word. He tried to greet her, but she purposely refused to look at him.

Max, drunk out of his mind, brought his attention back the person he was originally talking to, remembering why he'd singled her out in the first place. Then, very loudly, stated that reason.

He pointed at the girl, a focused expression taking over. "Where's—" He took a sip of his drink, as if he couldn't wait to finish his sentence before he did so. "Where's Charles?"

A brief pause took place before Andreanna let out a nervous laugh, darting her eyes about the place and pulling an awkward expression. "How should I know?" She said, masking the tension.

Max then took a step back, scoffing. "Uh, duh?! You're, like, always with him." He stated, as if it was obvious. The girl shook her head as he spoke as if to say 'you're crazy', but Max continued his efforts. "You always know where he is. Always."

As Lando shifted his gaze between Max and Andi, much too intoxicated and much too involved in the interaction before him to even consider intervening, Oscar only concentrated on one end of the conversation. He could clearly see Andi's stress in not wanting to answer, as well as her uneasiness rise as Max continued to speak.

"What?" He said, almost spilling his drink. "Am I wrong? Am I wro-oooo-ng?!" He looked around at the two McLaren boys, to which Lando merely laughed at him and Oscar politely shrugged his shoulders, unsure of what to do. "Please, someone tell me I'm wro— Oh, hey! Cha-aaaa-rles!"