Chapter 9

[POV: A panicked Andreanna Saunterre]

Abort!

Why does he keep asking me questions?! Move on, Charles! Surely he can't be this shocked... right? I'm datable! It's not that big of a deal...

...right?!...

Oh, who am I kidding. I've practically written my death wish here. I hadn't even considered the consequences of this before I'd spoken, I was too quick to defend myself! Much, much too quick!

"What? So... You met less than a month ago and you're already dating him?" He scoffed. He scoffed?! I. Am. Datable! "I've seen you talk to him like, what, twice?!"

"Uh, actually! I'll have you know that we talk all the time." I said.

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, really." Crossing my arms, I raised my index finger. Surprised at my confidence, since internally I'm shutting down completely, I raised my chin and turned my head away.

That was a mistake. As, next to me, in the direction I'd turned, was the big bright screen, still displaying Piastri's interview. I flinched, deepening the thought that I'd have to eventually tell Charles the truth.

...

Unless...

"And what does your dad think of all this?" He asked yet another question, reminding me of my other predicament. That is, that my dad still wasn't too pleased with me after the stunt I pulled before the race.

I gulped, preparing my next lie.
"...We haven't started telling people yet... And so... I'd appreciate it if you don't tell him either!" I laughed, awkwardly, though I tried to make it seem seamless.

Charles watched me for a moment, raising a brow, ignoring his girlfriend's endless tugging on his shirt in an attempt to pull him away. I couldn't blame her, I suppose. He'd been interrogating me for far too long.

"Hm." He mumbled, still not done with his examination.

"What, 'hm'? Are you surprised?" I queried, turning the questions onto him. Let's see how he likes it.

'Say yes', I thought. Say you're surprised. I know that's what he was thinking. Otherwise, why would he ask so many questions? Why would he care so much about what I'm doing with my life?

"No." He stated, firmly.

"So, what? Are you... bothered by it?" I poked at him, able to sense his rising discomfort. His girlfriend, now sensing something other than a friendly, light-hearted conversation, eagerly tugged harder on Charles' shirt. This time, he took her hand and held it, tightly. I saw it, and he saw that I saw it.

"No. I'm not." Is all he said before leaving, swiftly, dragging his girlfriend along behind him. She turned and waved a small goodbye as she left, smiling sweetly before practically needing to jog to keep up with the man.

"He's so bothered" I whispered, silently kicking myself as I once again peeked at the big bright screen beside me.

Stop! I thought. Stop being everywhere!

I pursed my lips and bit my tongue, promptly speeding off to return to my hotel room, where I knew there was an extensive selection of drinks waiting for me. ...That sounds bad. Reader, I am not an alcoholic. It's not my fault they stock up the complementary mini-bar every morning!

*

[POV: Narrator]

Although Oscar was quickly adjusting to life at McLaren, there was something that perhaps he should've caught onto quicker. That is, if Lando Norris texts you at midnight asking you to meet him at a high-end restaurant for no apparent reason, do. not. go. Innocent Oscar, who hadn't figured out why Lando wanted him to "dress nice" and "tidy his hair up" did just that; Arriving 15 minutes early to be 'polite', or so he told himself.

As soon as Oscar entered the establishment,  he could practically smell the up-to-no-good-ness in the air; With Lando giggling away at something on Carlos' (whose presence was a complete surprise) phone, as well the immediate silence once the two of them spotted him arriving, Oscar could tell he'd been dragged into something he did not want to be part of.

Lando, with an extremely noticeable smirk, strode over to greet him, resting his elbow on Oscar's shoulder and pointing him towards the direction of a table — one that had only two chairs, one candle, one milkshake and two straws.

The boy thought nothing of it, turning back to his friend who merely stared at him and tried not to laugh. Carlos, with the same glint in his eye, pulled out one of the two chairs and began beckoning Oscar towards him.

"Come, sit." He said, grinning while Lando snickered, covering his mouth as if that would block the noise.

Before Oscar moved, he counted again. Two chairs... One candle... One milkshake... Two straws... That's odd. He thought. But there's three of us—

Then, the pin dropped.

"No." Was his immediate response. "No— No! Are you crazy?!" He whisper-yelled, trying to bare in mind the fact that there were actual other people present in the restaurant, trying to enjoy a nice meal. And a nice meal it would be, since the restaurant Lando had chosen was clearly only suitable for nice meals! The type of nice meals you'd only every fathom eating on a—

"A date?!" He screeched, turning from the table and darting towards the door, only to be blocked physically by the very friend who'd set him up; That word 'friend' growing thinner by the second.

"Listen, Oscar, just—" Lando restrained the boy, "Listen! I was speaking to Carlos and he made some very good points! He convinced me! What can I say?!" He smiled, as if he'd done nothing wrong.

Oscar stared in disbelief. "He convinced you? He convinced you to set me up on a—"

"Yes! Look, I know in the past you've made it clear that you'd rather stay away from the whole dating-scene. But! What harm could one blind date possibly do?"

"What harm?! What—" He paused, having noticed the restaurant doors swing open.

Lando flung his head around at the noise. "Shit! She's here, quick! Go, go, go!" He rushed, pushing Oscar against his will towards the pulled out chair, forcing him down onto it and pushing it closer to the table while Carlos scrambled to greet the girl.

"Lando, I swear to god, I'm not—"

"It'll be fun! Trust me! Carlos says she's nice." He beamed, running off to say hi and guiding her towards her date's direction.

Oscar, who'd just been conned to the extreme, sat in shock, unsure of what to do.

He looked up to spot Carlos and Lando grinning widely at him with both their thumbs up, mouthing things like 'good luck!' and 'you can do it!'. Oscar shifted in his seat, wanting nothing more than to run at them and knock them to the pavement.

Well, the marble, in this case.

              ____________________

My exams are over! Woo-hoo!