Chapter 11

[ DISCLAIMER: Before reading this chapter, if you have not yet checked the changes I made to chapter 10, please consider that if you don't you might be a bit confused here!! — That sounds threatening. Do whatever you want pookies *mwah* 🥰 ]

[POV: Narrator]

"Oscar, you can't ignore us forever!" Lando drudged his way along the pit-lane, yelling after his friend, or ex-friend, who'd just gone an entire flight and taxi trip without speaking to him. "You can ignore Carlos! That's fine! You don't really ever talk to him anyway, so it doesn't matter that much, and I'm sure he won't mind. But you can't ignore me!" He whined, holding a hand to his heart as if he was in some Shakespearean love tragedy.

Maybe Lando did feel bad, or maybe he didn't; it didn't matter to Oscar.

The plane ride had been excruciatingly painful, as Lando, who was sat one seat away from Oscar, kept staring at him and giving him that puppy-eyed look. Trying his very best not to laugh and maintain his silence, Oscar waited until the boy was asleep to finally take a picture of the massive watsit-stain Lando had on his hoodie.

He wasn't going to ignore Lando forever. He knew that would be practically impossible, since, as far as Oscar was aware, Lando was the most difficult person to ignore ever.

But, Oscar also knew that he was pissed off. That blind date had been the most insufferable, unbearable experience and - as far as Oscar was concerned - Lando and Carlos had planned it to be that way. He was sure that they chose the girl on purpose — to have a laugh, to point and joke (which they did. The whole time.) because she was the farthest away from him in terms of similarities. Normally, Piastri didn't mind differences. In fact, he welcomed them most of the time, to make things a bit more interesting since nobody wants to be with someone exactly like themselves; he always thought that was a bit off-putting.

But... Jesus, himself and his date were so different, that he wondered if Lando and Carlos had looked up "opposite of Oscar" and chose the first girl to come up.

"I mean, for starters, she isn't even into F1. When I mentioned it, she actually said "What's that?". I'm not against people who don't like the sport, but come. on. She even told me she "disliked" Australian accents five minutes before the date was over! No, actually, what she actually said was: "I don't know about Australia. I've always disliked their accents; too slow and nasal. But Spanish, gosh, that's an accent I can get behind." I mean, it's clear she didn't come for me. And, quite frankly, that's a huge relief!" Was the last thing Oscar said to Lando before his stand of silence. All Lando had asked was: "How was it?", so it's safe to say he was a little stunned. Carlos however, was glad to hear that the girl liked Spanish accents.

From that night, to the moment they got to the F1 paddock in Australia, Lando had been bombarding Oscar with apologies. 1000+ message notifications, yelling from one vehicle to another when passing. He even went as far as sending a hand-written letter to Oscar's apartment. That surprised Piastri to say the least, and it did make him almost contact Lando. That was, until he read the back of the card.

'P.S. she wants a second date.'

Previously, the two had made arrangements for Lando to stay with Oscar while they were over in Australia. But, when Lando came to the door with his 8 suitcases and travel pillow, he received no welcome. So, having known that that was a possibility, he was forced to commence plan B.

*

"No. Nope. Sorry! Not happening." Andreanne went to shut her hotel room door, only to be stopped forcibly by a very red hand, presumably due to lugging 8 suitcases up 10 flights of stairs. There was a perfectly functioning lift, but Andi decided to skip that piece of information for now.