Chapter 19

[POV: Narrator]

Well. You know what? To Andi, three whole weeks all to herself sounded lovely. After the stress of everything that had happened since the F1 season began, she needed good long day - or week - in bed.

The plane ride had made her even more excited to spend some time alone, since she'd researched the area around the paddock and found tons of hidden gems she didn't even know were there. Whenever she had come to Baku before, she'd watch the race to support Charles and leave the following day. Never had any time to look around. But now, she had the time, and plenty of it!

What's better is that she found that a bike meet had been scheduled in a weeks time, it's location not being too far from the paddock. The only concern was if her dad would let her leave the site for such a long time, but Andi wasn't too worried about that. His approval seemed likely, since he'd been in a chipper mood since the news of Oscar had reached him.

Upon arrival, Andi practically skipped out of the airport. She raced for the shuttle bus that would take her and her dad straight to their hotel, feeling a little bummed that her Viper wouldn't arrive for, at the latest, another week. All she hoped was that it would arrive before the bike meet, otherwise that idea is toast.

Once she'd gotten to her hotel room, she slumped onto the bed. She didn't unpack nor did she intend to until the next morning, since her plans for the rest of the day involved little else other than sleep. She wasn't too sure she'd been properly sober since the night at the Yacht Club, so a good doze would benefit her well.

As well as a strict no-phones rule.

That meant that when Lando eventually began ringing Andi non-stop - no doubt to ask her pointless questions or to tell her a meaningless story - she would simply pretend he wasn't. The entire reason this rule exists is due to a very similar scenario; One year, while Andi and Charles' families were away on holiday, Lando rang Andi at 3 in the morning. Why? Because he wanted "Netflix recommendations."

So now, Andi made sure her phone was on silent, that Do Not Disturb was on and that her volume was right the way down before chucking her phone to the end of the bed.

Finally.

She smiled to herself, nestling into the pillow and pulling the duvet up to her chin, clutching it tightly.

Some actual peace.

*

[POV: Oscar Piastri]

"You've never left this early, though!"

"I know, Mum." I said, for the fifth time, whilst zipping up my suitcase.

She sighed again, "Why do you need to be there so soon?"

"They, uh..." I racked my brain, trying to think of something logical. That proved to be difficult, since I hadn't really thought logical for the past 12 hours. "They just want me to do some testing after the last race."

"But you did great! Nothing went wrong, did it?" She asked.

"No, but the team wants to do better." I wheeled my suitcase towards the front door, my mum following me without saying anything. Her silence made me feel bad, since I knew she was looking forward to having me stay at home for a few weeks after the race. But, with all that said, I still felt like leaving for Baku now was the right decision.

"Look, Mum. I'm really sorry to leave so soon, but it's my first season in F1! I have to give it everything. And, hey! You're coming to watch the race in Baku right?" I smiled, knowing I was right.

Her hesitation to say anything made me feel the need to add to my statement.

"And Lando's coming."

But, god. Why did I need to add that?

I smiled awkwardly, waiting for my mum to let me leave the house. Clearly feeling better about my departure now that it wasn't only me leaving, she rolled her eyes and pulled me into a hug.

"For God's sake Oscar! You're a real pain sometimes." She said, clearly joking. ...I hope.

"You're calling me straight away when you land!" She demanded, opening the front door and helping me carry my suitcase to the car. I didn't need the help, if anyone's wondering.

"I will." I said.

"And say hello to Lando for me!" She began waving as I drove off and I thought: Well, that'll be a challenge since he's not coming with me.

The drive to the airport wasn't that long, but the rising guilt made it seem like it was. I felt bad about lying; About telling my mum that the reason I had to leave for Baku so soon was to give this season my 'everything' and that Lando would be joining me. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realised only one of those statements was a lie. Lando wasn't coming with me, but I did want to give this season my everything.

And, hey. If that suddenly involved pretending to be in a relationship with a world-renowned motorcyclist that's - let's face it - way too impulsive for her own good, then so be it.

That just means I have to give that my everything, too.

So, as I boarded the plane with that decision in mind, I didn't feel so bad about leaving Australia.

Maybe I need to be a little impulsive sometimes, too.

_____________________

This chapter seems soooo fast paced and soooo short 😅
It was necessary though, I swear ! You'll see why next chapter - Which I'll be releasing tomorrow as I feel terrible that this one came out so late 😭🙏