Chapter 14

[POV: Oscar Piastri]

This girl cannot act.

I'll give her an A++ for sheer effort, though.

She pressed her forehead against the window of her Viper, both her hands being used as a make-shift pair of binoculars to somehow see better. She kept making noises like 'uuuuum...' and 'hmmmm...' as if she was really looking for anything, when in reality she had already stuffed her keys back into her bag once she was out of Charles' sight.

"You know... I think I see them over there." She said, still looking into the car.

"Really?" I said, inching forwards. She stepped back from the car for the first time, allowing me to take a turn at 'looking'. "What do they look like?" I played along, knowing the answer already. The reason I asked wasn't because I wanted to better my own personal acting skills, but because I wanted to tease her. Why that is will become more obvious when, or if, she answers me.

"Uuum," she hesitated, probably picking at her nails. "They're... black and have the Viper logo on them. Which is also black. And..." she trailed off. I wondered if she'd actually commit to the act and answer me. Then, I got my reply. "And there's a lego Batman figure...and a Minecraft creeper figure, too..."

I looked back for a second, saw her rubbing her forearm and looking away from me altogether and thought I'd embarrassed her enough.

She left out the other thing, I thought, deciding to leave it alone for now.

I turned back and resumed my act. "Oh, wait—" I said in a hopeful voice, one that made her walk up to the car and ask what I'd seen, clearly confused since she knew her keys weren't in there and that I couldn't have possibly found them. She just didn't know that I knew that too.

"A black set of keys with the Viper logo, Batman lego figure, creeper figure, and a shrimp?"

"Yes!" She stated, clearly not picking up on what I was insinuating.

"You mean the ones in your bag?"

"Yeah! The ones—"

I looked at her, head tilted. She slowly turned to face me too, a look of panic plastered across her. It was a funny sight, to see her so starstruck, so I began to laugh.

"Oscar, what the fuck?!" She swung at my arm and I tried my best to block her, laughing even harder. She smiled, mouth agape and in shock, telling me that she wasn't actually mad. "If you knew the whole time, why didn't you stop me?! I was making a complete fool of myself!" She laughed and hit me again, basically chasing me around her car since each time I tried to dodge her.

"A shrimp?" I said, avoiding her question since this one was much more interesting to me. "Why, of all things, a shrimp?!"

"That," she said, panting and catching her breath from all the attacking, "is NONE! of your BUSINESS!" she pointed at me, and for a second I found it hard to breathe properly.

She then reached into her bag and retrieved the keys, unlocking her car and getting in. She didn't tell me to get in, but neither did she tell me not to. I wondered if it would be rude to get in uninvited, but then thought it was rude to make her wait also, and if she—

"Get in, wise-ass!"

Yep, okay.

I did as she told me, did up my seatbelt before I realised—

"Wait, no-no-no, you can't drive." I stated, firmly. I unbuckled the seatbelt and went to unlock the door.

"Um, excuse you." she said, sounding offended. I paused. "I can drive, thank you very much. I'll have you know, I'm quite good, being a MotoGP driver and all—"