Passing Time

Tampa, Florida - Thursday, August 8th 2018

Tampa, Florida
- Thursday, August 8th 2018

Clovel cherished a day out with his family, exploring stores and the farmer's market. He marveled at the enduring bond among them; his mother, Carissa, radiated a unique glow, and his sister, Challan, appeared genuinely content.

Despite concerns about his best friend, speaking with him earlier alleviated Clovel's worries.

As they strolled through the farmer's market, Carissa clung to his arm, her presence a reassuring anchor amidst the bustling crowd.

The week seemed to move quickly, yet Clovel remained devoted to quality time with his family.

Upon returning home with fresh produce from a trusted farmer, Carissa, Challan, and Clovel engaged in playful banter in the kitchen. While Clovel searched for a snack, his eyes fell upon a hidden beer at the back of the fridge.

"You drink beer?" he questioned, his curiosity piqued.

"No—it's for—" Challan started before Carissa shot her a pointed look.

Clovel caught the subtle exchange and pressed further. "Mother? Who's the beer for?" he inquired, folding his arms, his protective instincts surfacing.

"It's for someone," Carissa responded with a smile, leaving a hint of mystery in the air.

As Clovel prepared to leave the kitchen, Carissa's words halted him. "Clovel, sit down," she instructed, her tone gentle yet firm.

He obeyed, his full attention on his mother. "I didn't want to tell you yet, but I am dating again," Carissa confessed.

"That's good, Mom. Who is it?" Clovel inquired, his curiosity piqued, his initial resistance fading.
Challan couldn't contain her laughter, sensing Clovel's reaction might be mixed.

"Your little league coach, Ryan," Carissa revealed.

"Hell nah," Clovel exclaimed, clicking his tongue in disbelief. "Sorry, but no way."

"He's sweet, he treats me well, and he's an amazing cook," Carissa defended her choice, her eyes reflecting her happiness.

"That man was tougher on me than Dad ever was; I couldn't stand him," Clovel retorted, his frustration evident.

"I know, baby, but he believed in you. That's why you have all those trophies; you earned them," Carissa reminded him of his achievements, her voice soft yet firm.

Clovel's resistance softened, a hint of a smile breaking through. "That explains why you're glowing like that. You kept this from me... both of you did. When did it start?" he asked, genuinely curious about his mother's new relationship.

"About a month or two ago," Carissa revealed, her eyes reflecting a mix of happiness and nervousness.

Clovel furrowed his eyebrows, processing the information. "So all those times you said you were busy... you were with him, huh?" he said, a mix of surprise and understanding in his tone.