Paradise

- Monday, August 6 2018

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
6:45am

Clovel activated the hazard lights as he pulled up outside the airport entrance. He quickly popped the trunk before exiting the car. As he approached Tiana's side, he opened her door, and she stepped out, walking with him toward the trunk to retrieve his luggage.

"Have a great time, and stay safe. I'll be waiting for you when you return," Tiana said, embracing him warmly.

"I will," Clovel replied, returning her hug. Before parting to grab his suitcases, he leaned in to kiss her gently. Tiana closed the trunk after helping with the bags, and they shared another heartfelt hug.

"I'll message you once I've landed," Clovel assured her, his smile genuine as he kissed her forehead before heading into the airport.

Tampa, Florida
2pm

After his plane landed, Clovel patiently awaited his turn to disembark, letting an older lady go before him. As he made his way through the airport, he turned off airplane mode on his phone.

A smile lit up his face as he read his sister's messages about where to find them. Adjusting his backpack on his shoulders, he headed towards the baggage claim to retrieve his suitcases.

Once outside the airport, Clovel spotted his sisters' light blue Volkswagen pulling up. He quickly sent a message to Tiana, informing her of his safe arrival.

"Clovel" His mother and sister called out in the front of the airport, enveloping him in warm hugs. "Oh how I missed you, my sweet baby" Carissa kissed his cheek and took hold of his hand, guiding him towards the car.

Challan popped open the trunk while Clovel placed his suitcases inside. Challan took the wheel and drove them to their mother's place. Carissa was bubbling with excitement, eager to show her son everything he had missed.

Upon arrival to his family home, Clovel grabbed his bags and followed his mother and sister into the house. Stepping inside, he noticed his small paintings adorning the back wall.

"Mom, you put up these paintings?" he asked, walking over to examine how much his art had evolved since then.

"Of course, baby. I even have Challan's failed attempts at painting," his mother replied with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I quickly realized that painting was just your thing," Clovel teased, a smile gracing his face. He admired how his mother had proudly displayed their presence throughout the house. His sister's photoshoots, their family pictures with/without their dad, old sports snapshots—every corner exuded memories.

The last time he had been there, his mom hardly had any photographs on display. She had taken them down after the incident with their dad, fearing they would fall just like the one that had dropped the day before his passing.