chapter seven: the funfair

"So this is where you live now, huh?" Izzy asked with a grin as she entered the apartment.

"Yeah, with Javier and Steve" Spencer replied with a chuckle.

Izzy nodded and looked around a bit, "It looks cozy"

"Thank you," Spencer told her as Izzy plopped onto the sofa.

Spencer hadn't seen her best friend for some time and she was happy that they finally saw each other again. Especially since Izzy will be looking after Zelda more often now that the new semester started.

The friends spent the next hour talking about all sorts of things until Izzy suddenly jumped up excitedly, "Oh my god, I almost forgot. Today's the last day of the funfair in town. I actually wanted to ask you if we can go?"

"The funfair?" Spencer asked confused. She didn't even know it was in town right now.

"Yeah, dogs are allowed there, you know? We can take Zelda with us" she suggested.

But before Spencer could answer, they heard the front door unlock. And then they heard Steve's laughter and a soft giggle as he entered the living room with Connie.

Steve stopped abruptly and Spencer realized from the look on his face that he had actually expected to be alone in the apartment.

"Hi Steve, Hi Connie," Spencer greeted them with a polite smile. Because she knew that Connie didn't really like her. And she wanted to change that since Spencer only sees Steve as a friend and doesn't want Connie to be jealous. And that's why Spencer decided to get to know her better.

"Hey Izzy, would you mind if I asked Steve and Connie if they wanna come along?" Spencer asked quietly after Steve and Connie went into the kitchen.

"No, the more the merrier" Izzy replied with a grin.

Spencer then also went into the kitchen to Steve and Connie, "Hey guys, I wanted to ask if you wanted to come to Funfair with Izzy and me?"

She could tell by the look on Steve's face that he really wants to go, but first he looked over at Connie.

"Uhm, yeah sure," she replied shyly.

"Great" Spencer told them with a smile, "Let me get Zelda real quick, then we're ready to leave" she added and left the kitchen again.

Zelda had been sleeping in Javier's room for a few hours, so she went over to his door and knocked softly. But when she didn't get an answer after a few seconds, she carefully opened the door.

"Javier?" she asked quietly.

And again, no answer.

So she decided to enter his room, and in the dim moonlight, she saw how Javier was sleeping on his bed with Zelda snuggling up to him.

After noticing Spencer, she stretched and then sat up. "Hey girl, we're going for a walk" she whispered quietly.

And the word 'walk' was enough for Zelda to excitedly jump off the bed and wake Javier.

He let out a tired groan, "Spencer?" he asked sleepily.

"Yeah, it's me. Sorry for waking you, but we're going to the funfair. You wanna join us?" she asked him softly.

"Uhm yeah, but I need a few minutes" he replied and also got off the bed.

"Sure" Spencer told him. She was just about to leave his room when he pulled his shirt over his head. And Spencer couldn't resist staring for a moment.

When Javier caught her looking at him, he had his proud grin on his face again. "You know what's funny? You always say you don't want me to make a move, but still, you can't take your eyes off me, huh?"