chapter nine: backstabbing

On Sunday, Javier and Steve looked after Zelda again, while Spencer visited her sister in the hospital. Savannah was doing better, but it will still take time for everything to heal.

The dog lay on Steve's lap while he gently rubbed her belly, "You're a fan of dogs now, huh?" Javi asked with a grin.

"Nah, I'm only a fan of Zelda, I mean, just look at her" Steve replied.

While Steve continued to look at her, Connie came out of the kitchen with three cans of beer, "When is Spence coming back?"

"I don't know, she left before I woke up. But she talked to you, right Javi?" Steve asked his best friend.

"Well, she asked me to look after Zelda for a couple of hours. But she didn't say anything else. Guess she's still mad" Javier replied.

Confused, Connie looked at him, "What do you mean mad? What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything" he told her with a shrug and got up from the couch.

After Javi left the living room and closed the balcony door behind him, Steve sighed loudly, "I like Spence, she's nice. But he already managed to get make her mad"

"Hm, I guess there's just this weird tension between them. With all that Izzy and Leon stuff. They're probably mad at each other.

"Yeah probably, but I don't get why he can't be friends with a woman. He always thinks with his fucking dick"

Connie took a sip of her beer, "You know what? Let's get drunk tonight. Then they will definitely talk to each other without a filter. And either they'll get along, or Spence will turn him down for good"

"That's a bad idea, baby" he told his girlfriend.

"No it's not! I swear I'm a 100% sure that they will fall for each other someday"

"How many of those did you drink?" Steve asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Not enough" she replied with a grin and pressed a kiss on his cheek.

And hours later, the four friends sat in the living room and played a card game while drinking beer. And Zelda slept in Javi's room again.

But when Spencer's phone rang and the name Izzy appeared on the screen, her mood took a turn for the worse.

"Uhm, I'll be back in a few minutes, yeah?" she told her friends and walked to her room.

And after she closed the door behind her, she picked up the call.

"Yeah?"

"Hi girl, I'm so sorry I'm only calling now, but I've been really busy with my grandma" her best friend told her.

Spencer rolled her eyes. So Izzy actually lied to her. She was so glad that Connie told her the truth.

"Oh really?"

"Uhm.. yeah? Why are you talking like that?" Izzy asked back, a little confused, and a little nervous.

"A man over your best friend? You know, normally, I wouldn't even mind. But you're lying to me. And you could've asked me if it would be okay for me if you were with my roommate"

Izzy let out a sarcastic chuckle, "I fucking knew it. You're into him? Even tho I'm kinda with him now? You're such a backstabber!"

"I'm a backstabber? Yeah right" she replied with a hurt chuckle, "And no, I'm not into him. But you're lying to me. So obviously I'm a little hurt. Do you think I'm fucking stupid?"

"I guess you are fucking stupid, because Javi obviously has a lil crush on me, and you're too delusional to see that. Just because he's your roommate, doesn't mean that I can't be with him"

Spencer took a deep breath, "You now what? I really don't want to talk to you right now. Don't call me back unless you want to apologize"

Izzy let out a snort, "I'm not the one who has to apologize, Spencer. Fuck you"

Annoyed, Spencer hung up and left her room again. She didn't know who she should be more mad at: Javi or Izzy.

And when Spencer entered the living room again, Javi immediately noticed that she was in a bad mood, so he walked over to her, carefully put his arm around her shoulder and led her into the kitchen. "I'm sorry," he told her honestly.

"Oh really?" she asked him with a small chuckle.

"Yes, I really am. I guess you talked to Izzy?"

Spencer just nodded.

"She's crazy. I know she's your friend, but she's crazy. She acts like we're a couple, but like.. I didn't even sleep with her, you know?" Javi told her honestly.

"You.. didn't?" Spence asked back confused.

He furrowed his brows, "Hell no. I was too afraid that she'd poke a hole in the condom or something"

Spencer blinked a few times and then stared at the ground.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked her softly.

"Yeah" she immediately replied. Because it would be unfair to be mad at Izzy only.

Javi nodded, "Okay, I get that. And we're kinda friends now, so I swear I'll do better, yeah?"

"Okay, thank you" Spence told him with a soft smile and Javi did his best to ignore how his heart beat faster when he saw her dimples.

"You.. ah— You wanna have a few more drinks now? I guess we all have to loosen up a little"

Spence nodded while she tucked her curls behind her ears. And Javi couldn't help but stare at her exposed neck. Spence is doing something to him since the day she moved in.

So he tried his best to distract himself. He's too sober for that.

"You want another beer? Or would you have some tequila with me?" he asked her therefore.

"Uhm yes, why not" she replied.

Javier came back with two glasses and sat down next to her again. And when Spencer placed one on her lips, he interrupted her with a grin.

"Wait, how old are you again? Aren't you like 20?"

She let out a sigh, "My 21st birthday is in three weeks. So don't treat me like a kid"

"Well, you're too young to drink tequila" he replied and took the drink out of her hand again.

Spencer looked at him confused, "You're kidding, right? I've had a few drinks infront of you before. So stop fucking with me right now"

"Nope. That was beer, now it's tequila" he replied with a grin and drank the whole glass in just a few seconds.

"Oh come on, don't act like you never drank before you were 21" she asked with a small chuckle.

"I did, but there's a difference"

"Oh yeah? What's the difference?" she asked him and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"I can handle it" he replied with a grin.

"And you think I can't?"

"I guess you have to prove me then" Javier told her. She knew he was flirting with her, but she didn't care. If she gets along better with her roommates that way, then so be it.

Javier got two shot glasses and the bottle of tequila from the kitchen. While he filled the glasses, she scooted a little closer to him.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

I'm so so sorry for the wait! I know it's been months.. I had some stuff going on but I will try to update more frequently now!

I hope you still enjoy this fic? Because I'm still so excited about Javi's and Spence's storyline and relationship <3

(And for everyone interested, I also published a new book: a Joel Miller dad's best friend fic)