Chapter 3: Minerva

A/N Sorry, the chapters are very short, but they'll get longer later. For the moment, it's mainly to introduce the story. 

Albus. That was his name. The boy with blue eyes and auburn hair. My friend. He was handsome. He always stayed with his best friend, Elphias, although I never talked to him. Well— not properly. He's very kind, but he isn't much of a talker. More of a listener. I can see him staring at me all the time, but I'm not interested. I mean— don't get me wrong, he's kind, good-looking and everything, but I prefer Albus. From the first time I saw him, I couldn't take my eyes away from him. He was tall. Very tall for a fourteen-years-old. I wonder what it would be like, to kiss him, I thought.

"Minerva!" called my best friend, Poppy.

"Yes?"

"Are you even listening?"

"Yes! You were saying how Elphias was good-looking."

"You're lucky," she said.

"I know you too well," I said with a smile. 

"So— how are things between you and Albus?"

"We're friends, Poppy! Nothing more, nothing less."

"Yeah, sure. I've never seen friends look at each other this way before, but sure."

"Poppy. I'm only twelve. I don't want to be in a relationship at the age of twelve!"

"Fine. Then how old do you want to be to be in a relationship?"

"I don't know— sixteen? Seventeen?"

"Seriously, Min?! That's in a looong time!"

"How old do you want to be to be in a relationship?"

"I don't care! Twelve, thirteen, fourteen!"

"Okay. Well good luck by seducing Elphias!"

"Can you ask Albus if he fancies me?"

"Ask him yourself!"

"Ask me what?" asked a familiar voice behind us. 

"Nothing," Poppy said, while I said "Poppy was wondering if Elphias had feelings for someone," which earned me a glare from my best friend.

"Uhm— well, yeah, I think he likes you, Minerva, but he may be interested in you, Poppy."

"Of course he's interested in Minerva! Who wouldn't be?" said my best friend.

"Poppy!" I said. "Stop it!"

"No."

"Why are you mad at me? You wanted me to ask Albus!"

"Yes, in private!"

"Nobody heard, Poppy!"

*°*°*°

I was sitting in the Library with Albus. We were both working. Then, Elphias came in and sat next to me. He took a deep breath and said. "Minerva. I like you. I really do. Do you want to go out on a date with me?" he said and I looked at him, bewildered. 

"Uhm— Elphias— I— You're really kind, and handsome, and everything, but— I don't like you that way," I said. 

"Oh. Uhm— Okay. Well— I'll go, then. Bye." 

He left the Library and I put my head in my hands, grunting. Albus pretended not to have heard what happened, but he quickly stopped pretending and turned around to look at me. 

"Handsome? Seriously? You tell him he's handsome and then you tell him you don't like him romantically?!"

"Albus, please—" 

"Sorry, Minerva, but— it's confusing!"

"I'm twelve, Albus! First of all, I don't want to be in a relationship before I turned at least sixteen and second of all, it isn't in my habit to train how to reject a guy!"

"Right, sorry."

*°*°*°

Two months later, Elphias asked Poppy out and she said yes. I was happy for both of them, and got to spend some time with my other friends, Pomona, Rolanda and Filius. 

As I spent more time with them in the Library, or near the Dark Lake, under a tree, I didn't get to spend much time with Albus and when I next saw him, it was at the End-of-the-year Feast and he had a girlfriend. I was jealous of the both of them, of how happy they were, and how Albus didn't notice me anymore. 

*°*°*°

I got home, and was glad that I didn't have to see Albus and his girlfriend for the next two months.