Chapter 5: Albus

Aberforth wouldn't stop talking about his new friend, Robert, all summer. I couldn't stand it anymore. 

So I was glad when I got on the train and was greeted by my girlfriend, Allianah. She was amazing. I was Head Boy, but already knew my duties, so I didn't go to the Prefects' compartment. Instead, I stayed with Allianah. Her head was resting on my lap while I was reading. 

*°*°*°

When we arrived, we took a carriage with Elphias and Poppy. Abe was with his new friend. 

Once inside, the Sorting Ceremony took place and one name caught my attention. 

"McGonagall Malcolm!"

The boy walked to the stool and sat down. Professor Weasley placed the Hat on is head and it yelled "GRYFFINDOR!" I followed him with my eyes as he walked to a young woman with black hair, which were tied in a tight bun. I almost didn't recognized her, and wouldn't have, if it wasn't for her friends around her and her beautiful emerald eyes. She hugged the boy as he sat between her and a boy who was about Abe's age. She really looked beautiful, and wouldn't look at me. How could I have forgotten about her? How couldn't I have noticed how she grew into a beautiful young woman? 

*°*°*°

During the following week, I spent some time in the Library for the first time in two years. There she was, though, studying, and as beautiful as always. I sat next to her. 

"Hi," I said. She didn't even look up. 

"Where's your girlfriend?" she asked in a dry tone.

"She hates this place," I said. 

"Of course she does," she said, still not looking at me. 

"Are you mad at me?" I asked.

"Albus. I'm trying to work," she said. 

"Just answer me."

"You didn't even look at me during the two previous years, what do you expect?"

"Sorry. I've been busy—"

"Snogging your girlfriend. Yes, I know. I saw. As did everyone." 

Her words felt like knives stabbing me. I knew she was right. She always was. At that moment, two boys, Malcolm and another who seemed a bit older, came in and sat next to her. 

"Hey, Minerva, can you help me with something, please? I asked Robert, but he said he didn't understand it either," said Malcolm. 

"Sure. What is it?" 

"Something in Transfiguration."

"I have a feeling we're gonna regret it," mumbled the oldest. 

"I heard that, Robert!" said Minerva. 

"What? Please, Min! We know how crazy you get when we talk about Transfiguration!"

"I can't see where the problem is, Robert!"

"Anyway. Stop fighting. Can you help us, Min?" said the youngest. 

"Sure. What is it you're struggling with?"

"The 'Vera Verto' thing."

"Okay. What don't you get?" 

"How to get a proper result." 

"Okay. Well— I'll need a rat and then I'll show you."

"Okay. I'll be right back," said the oldest as he got up to leave. 

"No! Rob! No animals in the Library!"

"Are you really going to give me a detention because of that?"

"I could, yes, but Madam Pince would, yes!" 

"Please! Who named you Prefect?" asked Robert.

"The Headmaster!"

"Great! Well I'm gonna go and talk to him!"

I couldn't help but laugh at how childish they all sounded, but she turned around quickly and sent me a glare. 

"What is it that you're finding funny, Dumbledore?"

"Nothing," I said. 

"We'll get a rat to train in the common room later, bye, Min!" said Malcolm before going away with his brother. At that moment, Allianah entered the Library and sat down on my lap.

"Hey, love. You've been working all day. Come. Let's walk outside."

"Sure, it isn't by staying in the common room, talking with your friends that you'll get good marks," said Minerva.

"Shut up, McGonagall!"

"I'll shut up the day you start working." 

"Could you please stop? Both of you?" I asked. What was wrong with them? 

"Sure. Have a nice snogging-session," said Minerva before leaving. 

"What's wrong with you two?" I asked Allianah once we were alone. 

"She likes you. So I made it my personal goal to make her life a living hell."

"Seriously, Allie?!"

"Yes."

"What do you mean 'she likes me'?"

"She fancies you, she has a huge crush on you, dumbass."

"Don't call me that!" I said. 

"C'mon, Alby! She deserves every bit of what I do to her!"

"No she doesn't!"

"You didn't care about her for years!"

"You know what, Allianah? We're done!" With that, I got up, gathered my things, and left. 

On my way to the Common Room, I saw Minerva and walked faster to catch up with her. 

"Sorry," I said. 

"What for?" She asked. 

"I was being an idiot by being with her. I let her take me away from you. I'm sorry, Minerva."

"I'd like to forgive you, Albus, but I can't. I hate her. I hated you. I hated the fact that all I wanted was to be your friend again. For you to look at me, notice me when we were in the same room. But only she was here. Nobody else was in the room. Just the both of you. That was painful, Albus. I wonder if our friendship really was important to you, or if it was just something to make the time go by faster."

"Minerva. It really meant something to me, more than you think."

"Really? Well it didn't seem that way. Sorry, Albus, but I have to go. bye."

She left, leaving me alone, thinking back and realizing of all the moments she was there and I didn't even notice because Allianah was there. While I was preoccupied kissing my girlfriend, my best friend had grown into a woman and now had curves and everything, making my feelings for her even stronger. Was Allianah saying the truth? Did Minerva really like me? Or was it a lie, something to make me hope for something that couldn't come true? 

Minerva was a real tease, even though she didn't know it. She was beautiful, with her black hair tied in a tight bun, her emerald green eyes and her stern face. She wasn't that shy kid anymore. She was a grown-up woman with curves, and I couldn't forgive myself for not noticing these changes. Did I really liked her that much? Yes, I thought. I kept dreaming of her, desire filling my body during the nights, even when I was with Allianah. I kept imagining how she would look like when she'd be a grow-up woman, but nothing prepared me for this. 

The night after my break-up with Allie, I realized one thing: I was falling in love with Minerva McGonagall.