Chapter 12: Ariana

I was in Third Year. Mom had signed my Hogsmeade authorization. I was very excited. Plus, Albus would be my Transfiguration teacher! I missed Minerva, though. She was really kind. Almost like an older sister. I knew that Albus wanted to propose, but he wanted to wait a little. I couldn't wait for them to have kids! 

Malcolm and Robert had stayed during the holidays. I didn't really know why. Neither did mom nor Albus. Abe and I had tried to ask them, but the McGonagall brothers didn't want to talk and mom and Albus didn't know what had happened. Minerva hadn't said a thing. She was now living in a small apartment in London. I hoped that she'd invite us there someday. 

*°*°*°

That year started well, but soon enough, kids started to make fun of me. They said I was scary with my eyes and my blonde hair. I liked my eyes. They were the same as Albus'. At some point, it became too much. I started writing to Minerva every day, telling her how these kids were treating me. I didn't want to tell mom or my brothers. I knew they thought I was weak and didn't want them to stop me from going at Hogwarts. So I told Minerva. The one that was like a sister to me. 

During the whole week, I sent her letters and she didn't answer. Then, on Sunday, while I was sitting in Albus' office, talking with him, an owl came tapping on his window. He went to open it and took the letter. He looked at it to see who it was from. "You write to Minerva?" he asked. 

"Yes. She's like a sister to me. We talk a lot. I wrote to her the whole week, but I think she was busy so she didn't answer."

He nodded and gave me the letter. I opened it. 

Hey Ariana,

I'm sorry about it. There's nothing I can do except offer you to come at my place if you need to escape. I'd advise you to talk to Albus about it. He loves you, Ariana. I'm sure he'll understand how Hogwarts is important to you. He can put a term to it. I won't tell him anything because it isn't my thing to do, but please, tell him. I know that you're worried that he'll tell your mother, but I'm sure that he'll understand and he's a teacher. It's his job to make sure that all the students are doing fine at school.

Hope that I helped a bit, 

Minerva

My brother was looking at me with an amused smile. "What does she say?"

"Nothing helpful."

"Can I help?" 

"Maybe, but I don't want you to."

"Ari—"

"No, Al. Stop it. I don't want your help."

"Minerva's in London! How can she help? Tell mom!"

"No! Mom's the last person I want to know!"

"Ari, stop acting so childishly! Tell me what's wrong! Please!"

"No. Don't worry, Alby. Everything's alright."

"Will Minerva tell me if I ask her?"

"She said she wouldn't, that it was my thing to say."

"Ari, please! Wait! Are you pregnant?"

"No. I'm not pregnant, Albus. I swear."

"Good then. What is it?"

"I don't want to tell you, Albus!"

There was a knock on the door and Malcolm came in. Tears were falling down his cheeks. 

"Can you ask Minerva to come, please?" he asked Albus. 

"Yeah, sure."

He sent a patronus to Minerva and ten minutes later, she arrived by the Floo. She smiled softly at me and then looked at her brother worriedly. 

"What happened?" she asked. 

"I don't want to go home for Christmas."

"For Merlin's sake, Malcolm! Stay at Hogwarts! You made me come just because you don't want to go home for Christmas?!"

"No. She wrote me, Min. She was being horrible."

His sister held out her hand and he gave her the letter. She read it. When she finished, she was paler than usual and her lips were forming a tight line. "She dared—"

"Apparently. Minerva. I never want to get there. Ever."

"You'll have to at some point. So will I." She fell in the nearest armchair and I exchanged a confused look with Albus as she took her face in her hands. 

"What will we do during summer, Min?"

"Malcolm. We'll see. First, focus on your studies, then we'll think about the summer holidays, although you're probably gonna stay at my place."

"With Rob?"

"Of course." 

"Okay. So we just ignore her?"

"As long as we can, yes."

"Okay. Thanks for coming." 

She exhaled. "You're welcome. Have you told Robert?"

"No. Not yet."

"Tell him. He needs to know."

"Okay. Bye Min."

"Bye Malcolm."

"Bye Albus, bye Ariana!"

He left. Minerva got up and looked at me and the letter between my hands. "Sorry I can't be more helpful. There's not much I can do," she said. 

"No problem. Thanks," I said. 

"You're welcome." 

She turned towards my brother and hugged him. "I love you," I heard her mutter in his ear. "Love you, too," he said. "Is everything alright?" he then asked in a worried tone. 

"Yeah. Don't worry. I'll explain later."

"Okay." 

"Just— keep a look on them. All of them," she said, looking at me. He followed her gaze and nodded.