Chapter 9: Albus

The Christmas holidays went by as fast as they came, and the end of the year was approaching very fast. I knew I'd have to say goodbye to Hogwarts soon enough, and that I wouldn't be seeing Minerva as often. 

My N.E.W.T.s exams and her O.W.L.s stopped us from seing each other as often as before. The only moments we spent together were the Thursday evenings, on the Fifth Floor, while we were doing our rounds. We weren't playing chess anymore, as we didn't have time, and the few kisses that we stole here and there were hurting me. I didn't know if the sudden distance was hurting her too, but I could see that Elphias had the same problems. 

On Thursday, June the 19th, I went on the Fifth Floor, where we'd be patrolling for what would probably be the last time. 

When I arrived, she was sitting on the ground, her back against the wall, working. 

"Hey," I said. 

She jumped, thing she never did because she always heard me come and looked up. 

"Hey," she said. "You're early."

"Yeah. I was hoping to see you before we started the rounds."

"Sure, but— I kind of have to work, you know."

"Please, Min. Just ten minutes."

"That's a lot."

"You've been working since we came back from my place and that was for Christmas."

"I know. Sorry."

She got up and put her textbooks back in her bag. 

I took a step forward and hugged her. I needed to feel her against me. A reminder that we were still together, that everything was fine. 

"I love you," I muttered. 

"I love you too," she said. 

"Uhm— I'll be leaving with Elphias after Christmas, next year. We're going on a World trip together for about a year, so I won't be seing you much, but I'll try to write as often as I can."

She nodded. "Sounds great."

"So— I'll be missing the end of your Sixth Year and the beginning of your Seventh, maybe even a little more."

"Okay."

"Mom would like you to come home for Christmas this year and the year after, but maybe you have things planned?"

"Maybe you could come for the next one and I can come for the one next year."

"Sounds great," I said. 

"That way, you'll be meeting my parents."

"I can't wait," I said, which was a little lie. I was a little anxious at the idea of meeting her parents.

We then started our rounds and then kissed goodnight. 

*°*°*°

We both passed our exams and received top marks. Then, we sat together on the train to spend one last moment together before the school starts again and with it the first Quidditch match of the year. 

We kissed goodbye and then I went to see my mother at the corner where she always was waiting for us, and I watched as Minerva, Robert and Malcolm went to their parents, hugging them. Aberforth then came and hugged our mother and then we left. I saw the McGonagalls leave, too and watched them get in their father's car, Minerva talking animatedly with him. 

I sat next to my mother, on the passenger seat, which was back to normal, and we left, going back home. 

*°*°*°