xii ━━━ missing queen

────────────────────────
☄. *. ⋆┊ chapter twelve

 ⋆┊ chapter twelve

────────

"It's not going to work"

Rhaenys stated, her tone teasingly and almost singing the word 'work' as she glanced up from her book.

The twins were in the drawing room, a cozy and well-furnished space within the great pyramid of Meereen. Rhaenys was comfortably seated in an armchair, engrossed in her reading, while Rhaego stood by the fire pit, his expression exuding overconfidence. He had a theory—that maybe, just maybe, he possessed the same unburnt qualities as their mother.

Rhaego, by the fire pit, raised an eyebrow, his arrogance undiminished. "You never know until you try."

With a self-assured grin, Rhaego extended his hand toward the flame, intending to test his theory. He held it over the dancing fire, feeling the warmth and the flickering tongues of fire.

However, his bravado didn't last long. After a few moments, he pulled his hand back with a yelp of pain, his palm reddened from the brief contact with the fire.

Rhaenys chuckled. "Well, that settles that. Guess you're not as special as you thought."

Rhaego, shaking his burnt hand in the air, rolled his eyes at his amused twin, "that was bloody hot,"

"Well, that's what fire do—burn" said Rhaenys with annoyed tone, "Can't believe I even have to inform you with that basic information"

"How does she do it?" Rhaego rubbed his fingers using his other hand.

The door to the drawing room suddenly swung open, startling both Rhaenys and Rhaego. They looked toward the entrance, perplexed, as Missandei, Ser Jorah, Daario, and Lord Tyrion rushed into the room, their expressions etched with worry.

Lord Tyrion spoke quickly, his voice anxious, "How are you both?"

Rhaenys, putting her book down, responded with a touch of sarcasm, "We're fine... What's happened?"

Ser Jorah began to explain, "We were attacked in Slaver's bay-"

"-Where's Mother?" Rhaego, his eyes wide with concern, cut him off with a more pressing question.

The room fell into an uneasy silence as the three men exchanged uncertain glances.

Rhaenys urged them for an answer, "Well?"

Missandei took a deep breath and chose her words carefully, mirroring the situation back in Slaver's Bay, "We were cornered in Slaver's Bay, and then Drogon appeared... the Queen rode him and flew away."

The twins' expressions shifted from confusion to a mix of shock and worry. Rhaego clenched his fists, while Rhaenys asked with concern, "Where'd she go?"