Chapter One

Time didn't exist in the North Pole. If you asked any of the elves they would tell you they got up, made presents, and went back to bed before doing it all over again with a smile on their faces. Yet, they still managed to make all sorts of stories. But one of the best ones was kept hidden from the rest of the world.

It sat on a shelf next to a crackling fireplace. The heat spread through the room and the light flickered against the wall.

And the man, large and white, stood up from his chair and traipsed over to the shelf, a shaky finger scanning the books until he found the right one.

The soft red leather felt familiar under his touch as he pushed away the naughty and nice list and plonked it down with a thud.

The gold letters read big and clear, 'Alex Hua and the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. A Christmas story'.

A story that changed the fate of Christmas, but only a handful of people will ever know what really happened that night.

***

The Christmas spirit had been dwindling in recent years. It had happened before during the wars and depressions but had always reappeared. The great football game saved them that year. But people were starting to worry now.

The torch's flame had gone duller and duller and the coals in the bottom have started to take over. The elves had started speaking out, worrying over the state of it.

But Santa Claus was always there to assure them it would be fine.

"Its happened before!" He would exclaim. "There is nothing to worry about except the toys for the wonderful children".

But now he sat in his office with a finger to his chin and scoured the list of children. A new record for the naughty list this year. He sighed and worried for the future of Christmas. He would never admit it, especially not to his wife.

His wife who was clanking up the stairs.

"Nick!" She shouted and flung open his door. "We need to talk. The torch has gone down since yesterday and the walls are crumbling! The elves have reported multiple incidents every day! We need to cancel it today, you cannot go out there".

He let a calm demeanour grace his face and stood up from the table.

"There is nothing to worry about, my dear. Everyone has been working extra hard this year and the presents are better than ever".

He grasped her hands in his and looked into her eyes.

"We knew this would be hard. Belief falters as the children grow up, but its up to us to show the new ones how great Christmas can be".

She knew he was right, he could see it in her face as her shoulder slumped and she gave in.

"Why can't you let the elves help you deliver? It would put less strain on you?"

"Because it is what I was born to do", he smiled softly. "Besides, there are some things I have to do tonight".

She nodded, taking a breath and tried not to say any more on the matter. She knew he would never cancel christmas. Especially not on Christmas Eve of all days. But she had no time to say anything, as someone else burst through the door.

"Sir! SIR!" Came a voice, wearing green and falling into the room.

The head elf nearly fell to the floor, catching himself at the last minute and righting his jacket.

"Sir", he said, calmer this time. "Theres an emergency in the factory".

He didn't need to say anything more. Santa was moving before he fully processed it, Mrs Claus somehow a step in front already.