Chapter Eight

Simmons is in the middle of looking over some charts when a small beeping starts on the other side of the room. The man in the bed seems to be slowly waking up.

She walks over and opens his eyelids, swinging a torch at his pupils to see some response.

"Hello, sir. Can you hear me?"

Ward walks in and eyes her before looking at the man.

"Is he awake?"

"Uhhh, not quite", she says and checks his eyes again. "It would be useful about now though. I don't know what Alex is meant to do if anyone sees him. I mean its bound to happen at some point, isn't it?"

Ward didn't reply and just stood suspiciously within arms reach of the patient. Always prepared.

But he wasn't going to be a threat. The old man with the long white beard was too weak to do much. He could barely open his eyes as he righted the sleep that came over him in waves.

But these people needed to know something. They needed to pass a message on to Alex.

Finally he manages a groan as his lashes flutter.

Ward is suddenly on high alert and takes a step closer. But Simmons either doesn't notice or ignores him completely and gets to work looking after Santa.

"Hi, welcome back", she smiles. "You had a bit of a fall, I don't know if you remember".

He groans again and tries to reach a hand up towards her but is quickly intercepted by Ward.

"Hands down", he says sternly.

Simmons tuts and takes the mans hand in her own and gives it a gentle squeeze.

"Now, you're probably very tired, which is completely normal. But you need your energy so just relax for me".

His arm comes back up so Simmons talks to him in a hushed voice.

"Don't worry. Alex is saving Christmas just like he promised. Its going well".

But Santa, or the man according to Ward, shakes his head and opens his mouth. He tries to speak but nothing comes out and he cant tell them what he needs. It's important!

"Excuse me Mr- Father Christmas", she corrects as she tries to get his attention. "Alex and Skye are in the sleigh and looking after the reindeer whilst they deliver the presents. At the moment they are on track and it will be done by morning. There is nothing else to be done".

Ward makes a loud noise of disapproval before placing his hands together and moving them as he speaks.

"Father Christmas isnt rea-"

"NOOO!" Simmons yells out.

At the same time the man in the bed flings his arms out and knocks Ward off his feet. He gets up angrily and walks towards the man.

"What the hell?!"

"Ward no", She warns him and places a hand on his chest. "He was stopping you from killing our teammates".

He steps back but his shoulders are still tense and his eyes are still glued on the man.

"You better not say it Ward!" Fitz shouts from wherever he's working.

Simmons attention goes back to Santa as she checks his vitals. This time when he tries to grab her hand again she looks into his eyes and senses theres something he needs to say.

"What is it?" She whispers.

"Th-th", he struggles. "Theres something you-you should... know".

She sits by his bedside and listens intently.

"There's a very important... g-g-gift this year. F-for a little girl. I- i-..."

He starts to trail off and his eyes start to roll back.

"Nick?" Simmons shouts. "Nick what is it? What's the important gift?"

But the words echo away as Santa falls back unconscious.

***

Coulson headed back to his office at the first chance he got. He slipped away and closed the door behind him, turning off all the lights except the lamp on his desk.

The desk drawer contained a very important document that he didn't know if he should read or not. The death of Phil Coulson was one he thought he'd never be reading.

But with unsure hands, he opened the drawer.

It sat inside and he didn't know what to do with it. Should he read it? He wanted to. But he also didn't want to know what it said.

He reached in and picked out the file, transporting it from the drawer to the desk. And he just stared at it.

***

May didn't know what to do about any of this. She had a team magically appearing in peoples houses and riding in a sleigh, a supposed Santa passed out in the Medbay and the leader of the team in his office after a traumatic experience.

She thought about it logically. She could put Santa to the back of her mind. Even if Ward did annoy her sometimes he was at least good at his job. He could handle that.

Now Alex and Skye...

She couldn't exactly do much about that either. The others were listening in on the comms so all she could do was be ready to get in the pilots seat. And she was always ready.

So she would stay where she was and keep an eye on Coulson. She could figure out why he was acting strange and make sure he didn't do anything stupid.

All while hoping Alex and Skye could sort this mess out by themselves.