Chapter Nine

The elves dressed in black trod up the stairs and entered the office where mrs Claus sat. Their leather jackets and dark sunglasses made them look very different to the usual elves people were used to.

"Ma'am, we're here to help. What is it you need?"

She took a deep breath to strengthen herself and stood up.

"Its happened. He's gone missing. I need you to find him and make sure he's okay. We cannot have this, especially not this year. Bring him back home. Safe", she almost pleaded with them.

They looked to each other before looking back to her and giving one silent nod before they turned around and walked back the way they came, their feet silent on the wooden floor.

They all follow the leader, his small name tag on the left hand side of his jacket reads 'Red'.

He leads them out into the snow and behind the building where five reindeer in black clothing stand calmly.

They wear matching black vests and buckles around each leg.

Each of the elves walks over and gently climbs on the back of each animal and turn back to their leader Red.

"Okay elves. Father Christmas has gone missing and its up to us to find him so Christmas can continue. He was last seen over a thousand miles away so we'll start there. Lets go".

With a slight pull of the reins, his reindeer made a happy noise and began lifting into the air. The others followed suit, and when they were all floating, he whisked off into the sky and they followed in a perfect line.

***

Alex has lost count on how many houses they've been too. It could be thousands or it could be hundreds of thousands at this point. He has no way to tell.

All he knows is the little screen has kept them moving from house to house and they've followed it without thinking. They got into a good rhythm and the houses started going by faster and faster.

The reindeer enjoy all their carrots and take it in turns to eat one and get a small rub on their backs. They make happy noises and give excited shakes of their backs every time, even after having dozens each.

Alex and Skye munch on cookies as they glide in the sleigh on their way to the next town. Small breaks in the houses like this give them some time to refresh and breath before the chaos starts again.

Skye's eating her chocolate chip cookie when she realises something.

"Have you eaten a cookie from every house?"

"At least one, yea", he shrugs. "Why?"

"Well... aren't you feeling full?"

He thinks about it for a moment and realises he should be. He's eaten thousands of cookies and hasn't felt the affects of any of them.

He looks down at his stomach to see the usual flat and slightly toned muscles. There is no indication whatsoever that he's eaten that much.

"That is a bit odd", he agrees.

"Maybe its magic?" She shrugs.

"Yea probably. That's some very strange magic", he nods.

But before they can think too much about it the next town comes into view and Alex grabs the sac ready and sits with one hand on the side.

The second they touch the roof he jumps and runs to the chimney.