Chapter Six

Alex sat in the front seat of santas sleigh and couldn't believe it. He was actually sat in the seat of the man who spread joy around the whole world.

Only, now he was that man. Okay that was actually pretty worrying and he didn't want to think too much about it. The entirety of Christmas was in his hands.

What if he couldn't do it? Billions of presents was a lot to deliver. Thankfully some of them had already been done but there were still so many more.

And how was he meant to do it. Santa didn't really fit down the chimneys did he? Alex wasn't sure if he was meant to do that, and then if he could was he just meant to sneak into everyone's house. What if they were still awake?

"What you thinking about?"

A voice broke him out his trance and he looked over to see Skye, her head tilted to the side as she stared at him.

"Seem to be thinking quite a bit there".

In all his spiralling he forgot one very important thing. He wasn't in this alone. Christmas wasn't on his shoulder because Skye was here too, just like she always was, right by his side.

"Nothing", he shook his head.

"Come on now. Somethings wrong, we spend too much time together for me not to notice".

"You're a detective now", he chuckled and looked to his feet. "Just a bit worried about all this", he gestured around.

They were cruising above the clouds now, heading for the next town as the small screen told them. The road was smooth as they cut through the air and the wind surprisingly calm.

"We're all in this together", she told him. "All of us. And if anyone get get it done, its our team".

He nodded and a small smile graced his face once more. She always liked to see that smile. Especially at the end of a long, hard, and horrid day. It made it all seem worth it.

And now was no different. She saw the smile on his lips that pulled at his cheeks. The slight glint in his eye as it turned to stare at the vast landscape. But there was something about it this time that felt different.

The man in front of her was incredibly familiar and safe as she spent so much time with him. Learning his strange habits like tapping his hand against his thigh when a particularly good song came on the radio or the slight flick of his head as his loose hair touched his forehead.

But now it was different. She could see the slight stubble growing in as he missed his last shave or the definition in his upper arm quite apparent even through the red coat.

"Now what are you thinking about?" He asked with a grin.

She didn't know when he had turned around but she smiled back at him, her cheeks no doubt turning a darker shade of red in the process.

"Just thinking about saving christmas. It feels like a dream".

"Well I hope its not a dream".

The smile is back.

"Because if it is, I don't ever want it to end".

His glee was contagious as she laughed with him, putting a hand to her mouth and averting her gaze to the tops of the trees as they pass.

"Come in, can you hear us", they heard the crackling.

Alex took a comm from the case and out it into his ear, Skye following straight after.

"Copy that, we're here", he said.

"Good. Now you have a screen in front of you so just keep following that unless we tell you otherwise. Fitz is going to help you check to make sure no one is in and Simmons will be keeping time to make sure you're on track".

"And right now you're twenty seven minutes behind schedule", she adds.

"How are we already that behind?" Skye asks.

"Well, he crash landed-", simmons started.

"And then we were arguing", Fitz added.

"Did you find out why he crashed?"

"Uhhhh no..." Simmons said slowly. "No we didn't".

"Did Ward ever admit to believing in Santa?" Skye asks.

"No, he still doesn't believe, no matter how much Simmons wants him to".

The light flickered and the sleigh dropped. Skye shrieked and reached a hand out to grab at Alex's arm as he reached over and grabbed her knee.

"What's happening?" Coulson asked concerned.

Alex held tight onto the reins until it stabilised and everything felt okay again.

"We're fine", Alex gasped. "It just went strange for a moment".

They could hear hushed whispers on the other side of the line and gave each other a strange look before Simmons spoke up again.

"I'd like to try something. Just don't panic".

"Ummm, what does that mean?"

But they got no answer. In the background they heard her shouting to Ward.

"Hey, Ward! Do you believe in Santa?"

"For the last time!! I do not believe in Santa!"

The whole sleigh dropped and they both screamed as they plummeted.

"HE IS REAL! SANTA IS REAL!" Simmons shouted through the comms and the sleigh began to stabilise once more.

"You knew it would do that?" Alex asks as he took deep breaths. "Why would you do that?!"

"It's the torch", she said with glee. "It went out didn't it?"

"I have no idea!" Alex exclaimed.

"It did", Skye interrupted. "I saw it change before it went out and then a small orange glow came back".

"Every time Ward said something about not believing in christmas the light went out and something happened with the sleigh".

"What's your point?" Alex asked curiously.

"I'm saying the light represents the christmas spirit! And that's whats powering the sleigh!"

Alex and Skye looked at each other in shock before glancing to the almost extinguished coals in the bottom of the torch.

"So our lives are in the hands of other people believing in christmas? In a time like this?"

"Yep".

"As long as we all believe, we can start there. We'll spread the spirit as we go".

"But what about Ward", Fitz said. "He doesn't bel-"

"FITZ!" Everyone shouts at the same time.

"Right... sorry..."

"Ward, I don't wanna hear anything about christmas until our team are safely back on the ground, understood?"

"Yes sir", he sighed and clenched his jaw.

"Get ready", Simmons told them. "The next town is a few minutes away".

"Copy that", Alex said before turning to Skye. "Are you ready for this".

"Are you?" She asked.

They held out their hands and clasped them together as the village came into view.