Chapter 2- Make Better Decisions

Jim and Y/n grew up together in the Inn. They would run down the halls pretending they were vast explorers discovering a new planet, or heroes, rescuing damsels. However, the older they got the more distant they became. They went to school together and barely spoke to each other, once they got home to the Inn they would do their chores and only talk to each other if it was necessary. Don't ask why, it was just an unspoken rule between the two. The only other reason Jim opened up his mouth around Y/n was to annoy her, which always ended up leading Y/n to come up with a sharp response.

Y/n was a bright girl who grew up to be beautiful and kind-hearted, boys at school and young sailors at the Inn would often flirt with Y/n which would annoy Jim. They didn't exactly run in the same social circles. Y/n grew up with an open heart while Jim, on the other hand, grew up shelling himself away from the world. He pushed away everyone he loved or anyone who loved him. Anytime Y/n would even try to get close to him he'd shut her out completely, after a while Y/n gave up trying to become his friend, she understood that he had his life and she had hers.

✵ 12 years later ✵

Y/n sat on the roof of the Inn, deep in her book while she occasionally bit into her purp. Her dress was now wrinkled from her sitting position, it was her favourite dress. It came down below her kneecaps and it tied from the back with white and pink flowers covering it. Her train of thought was soon broken as she heard a boy yelling in a howl-like way. Y/n looked around to see Jim gliding by the Inn with his solar surfer, he then landed on the roof out of breath with excitement in his eyes.

"Hey," he huffed as he saw Y/n not taking her eyes off the page, "got nothing better to do, Duchess?"

"Don't call me that," the young girl said slightly annoyed.

"All alone? Where's your boyfriend? What's his name-" Jim said as he dramatically tried to 'think', "Denny or was it, Dominick?"

"His name is Dimitri," she corrected.

"On purpose?" Jim laughed, Y/n looked up at him rolling her eyes.

"He's not my boyfriend," she said looking back down at her book.

"Then why do you spend time with him," Jim asked in a some what of a jealous tone.

"We have the same interests," Y/n explained. "I mean, we talk about books and just... hang out," the quiet girl muttered as she skimmed the pages of her book.

"So you're dating," Jim said not believe her.

"No," Y/n voiced once again, "we just hang out that's all, I mean, there's no one our age around here," she explained.

"Well you've got me," Jim said in a suave manner.

"Well aren't I just lucky," she sighed to herself as she continued off her book. Jim then walked closer to Y/n and began to read over her shoulder.

"What kinda junk are you reading?" He asked trying to make out the words. Just then Y/n slapped her book shut.

"You mind?" She asked looking back at him.

"Not at all," Jim smirked, "y' know your gonna go blind reading so much," Jim teased.

"Get lost Jim," Y/n said annoyed as she stood her ground.

He looked back at her with a frown. He didn't know why he teased her so much, most the time he just couldn't help it. "Fine," Jim said as he started up his solar surfer, "but only if you come with me," he said sticking out his hand.

Y/n looked up at him in confusion. "What?" She asked hoping that he wasn't serious.

"Come on, you've never been on one of these," Jim said as he started up the engine, "it's fun."

Y/n peeked over to see the unstable vehicle. "No thanks- I wanna live to see my thirties," she said got up and dusted herself off. "If you need any medical attention I'll be inside," Y/n taunted as she began to make her way off the roof.

"Oh that's right I forgot," Jim said as he itched the back of his head, "you hate having a good time."

"I do not," Y/n said defensively as she turned back to face the rude boy.

"Then come on," Jim said sticking out his hand. Y/n looked at him for a moment deciding what she should do.

✵✵✵

"I-I change my mind!" Y/n panicked as she stood on the homemade board with Jim.

"Ah it's too late for that Duchess- It's fine, I've been flying since I was eight," Jim said as he fired up his solar surfer.

"But what if I fall?! You're used to just flying by yourself, me as dead weight is a whole other story," Y/n explained.

"Look would you just trust me," Jim said tiredly as they began to hover above the ground. "I promise you, nothing is going to happen." Jim looked down at the worried Y/n a gave out a slight chuckle.

"What's so funny?" Y/n asked as she nervously gripped onto his waist.

"Nothing, just hold on tight," Jim said as he placed his hand on top of Y/n's hand, while slightly rubbing his thumb on her knuckle. He didn't know why he did it, Y/n didn't even notice she was too worried about plummeting to her death.

Soon the two took flight like a ship sailing into the night sky. Jim had to admit with Y/n in front it did make the board a lot harder to manage but he honestly enjoyed himself. For once he wasn't flying alone.

She held onto Jim for dear life. Y/n was too scared to look up she buried her face into Jim's back. "Come on!" He said as he grabbed Y/n's arm. Just then Jim shot up into the sky, unexpectedly.

"What are you doing?!" Y/n panicked as she gripped onto Jim's hands who were holding the bars of the surfer.

"Trust me," Jim shouted as he held onto the solar surfer, "just hang on."

Jim then looked down at Y/n, "Hold onto me and don't let go," Jim declared as he closed the sail. "Hold on," Jim whispered as he grabbed onto Y/n's waist, he then cut off the engine. The pair were now falling hundreds of feet from the sky. Although Y/n was petrified she did not scream she just buried her face in Jim's chest, she wanted to yell but nothing came out.

They had been falling for a little while Y/n gathered every last sense that she had and peeked over Jim's shoulder the ground was coming close. "JIM!" She shouted hoping that he would catch their fall.

Last-minute Jim opened up his sail while grazing the floor. "GAAAAAAAAA!" He yelled out loud, Y/n gave a slight yell of excitement as she turned away from Jim and faced in the direction where he was flying. "WOOOWHOOO!" Jim howled. He then saw something daring.

It didn't occur to them that they were not trespassing on a private construction site.

"That was amazing!" Y/n squealed while glancing her head back at Jim, "No wonder you love this!"

Jim smiled at the fact that Y/n was enjoying herself. "See?" he said looking down at Y/n once again, "now wasn't that-" Just then two police sirens rang from behind Y/n and Jim.

"...Fun?"