Chapter 8- Attraction

A couple of days went by, Y/n continued to work on the book but every so often she would glance out the window to see Jim scrubbing the floors by hand or prying barnacles from the side of the ship. Once while she was on the edge of the deck writing in her book she noticed Jim staring at her. Whenever she would look at him he would look shoot his gaze elsewhere.

Y/n was more fortunate than Jim, being in her position, Captain Amelia offered to share her room with the extent of a second bed. Jim had to sleep in a hammock with the rest of the musty crew.

As days went by Y/n found it difficult to write. Every day would feel the same the sky was either bright or dull but that wasn't the problem; nothing new ever happened. Every day felt like repetition. She understood that each day was a routine but it was starting to get stale. Y/n had an idea, she would sneak out and write whatever she saw at night until the sunrise. She grabbed a blanket, an old cushion and the journal.

She slowly sneaked out of the Captian's quarters. Once she stepped out onto the deck she took a deep breath, Y/n looked up at the mast and saw the bird's nest. She tucked the book into the belt of her dress and threw the blanket onto her back, she then began to climb up the shrouds to the nest. Unaware of her surroundings she got there she threw her legs off and hopped in. Y/n looked up to see the nest was already occupied. She let out a shriek of fear as she covered her mouth.

"Hey hey- it's okay! It's me," Jim said as he sat up quickly.

"Sorry I didn't know," Y/n said as she quickly turned away embarrassed, "I'll go-"

"No no no, stay," Jim said frantically. Y/n looked back at him with a confused face. He had never asked her to stay before. "Eh, so what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in bed?" he asked trying to change the subject as he sat down.

"I could ask you the same question," Y/n said raising her eyebrow.

"I have the absolute pleasure of sleeping right underneath Mr. Snuff," Jim said sarcastically, "I couldn't sleep even if I wanted to."

"Oh that's unfortunate," Y/n giggled.

Jim gave her a warm smile he then shook it off. "So what are you doing up?"

"Thought I could get some writing done," Y/n said as she sat down on the opposite side of the nest.

"How's it coming along?" He asked as he rested his forearm on his knees.

"Not so well," Y/n confessed as she opened up the journal, "that's why I'm here, to write about whatever I see until the sunrise."

"Ah, I'm sure it'll be fine you've always had a gift for your words," Jim said as he rested his head back. "I remember when we were kids you would tell me these stories, they were all made up of course but they felt so real. Like being able to breathe underwater or running away to a place where you could be anything you want, where you could live in a quiet house and watch the days go by. You said your paradise would be living in the countryside, away from the construction sites and smoggy air at home, how you'd love to live near the lake. And how you'd want to wake up at the crack of dawn and eat breakfast with the sun shining" Jim said heartfelt. "It was as if," Jim then closed his eyes and smiled. "It was as if I could actually see it, smelling the clean air, feeling the trickle of water run down my hands," Jim opened his eyes to see Y/n face full of surprise with rosy cheeks.

"You... remembered? That was years ago," Y/n said honestly.

"Of course I did," Jim said as he slightly sat up. "Does...," Jim debated on saying, "does Dimitri care for your words?" he finally asked.

A week ago Y/n would have told him that it wasn't any of his business but tonight she felt like opening up to him. She rested the book on her lap, "Jim," Y/n began.

"Did you even tell him that you were going on this Expedition?" Jim protested.

"Jim it's not like that-"

"It's just- I know you and I don't need to know Dimitri to know that you guys aren't for each other," Jim went on to say, not giving Y/n a chance to speak. "I mean you're smart you're fun you're pretty, and I'll Dimitri cares about is just-"

"You think I'm pretty?" Y/n asked with an even pinker face than before.

Jim's eyes widened as he realized what he had said, "I mean- ya," he said with his face growing red as well.

"I'm not dating Dimitri, I never have," Y/n confessed. Now more than ever Jim's face was a bright red. "I don't like him in that way," Y/n explained. "I know he likes me, but trust me he is someone who loves himself more," Y/n said with a laugh. "I know I'm pathic-"

"No, you're not!" Jim jumped in.

"You said so yourself," Y/n said, "back at the Inn." Jim's face turned red with embarrassment as he recalled calling her pathetic in front of a room full of people. "Dimitri is not like the other guys on Montressor," Y/n spoke, "he's kind and gentle and handsome-"

That really threw Jim off, he thought about the way looked for a moment. 'Does Y/n think I'm handsome?' he questioned himself. 'Maybe not handsome but at least decent looking, right?'

"But I don't need someone who's handsome, it's just that, Dimitri is a good friend." Y/n stated, "he's never made me cry." This felt like a knife to Jim's chest, he had made Y/n cry countless times. "He's just someone who cares a lot and listens."

Jim slightly hung his head in shame. "I called you pathetic out of jealousy," he said honestly, "I should have never said that, I'm sorry."

"Jealousy?" Y/n asked perplexed, "Why would you be jealous?"

"It doesn't matter," Jim said not wanting to give himself away, "Y/n... The thing is I really like-"

Just then the sky turned from a deep purple to a slight orange

"The sun's gonna rise soon," Jim said looking up at the sky, Y/n rose to her knees to get a better look. At that moment Jim wanted to tell her how much he loved her, how he had always loved her and that he would do anything in his power to protect her because she was somebody that he cared for deeply. Instead The Cabin Boy just simply stared at the girl staring into the sky.

"Listen," Y/n said as she dropped to her knees. "I just want to apologize, I know I've been a pain ever since we got here and that I've been moody, and treating you like-"

"No I'm sorry," Jim said cutting her off, " I know I've been a jerk, I can't help it I guess, I'm real sorry." Y/n smiled at him it was the kind of smile that made you feel safe. "I never want to make you upset." This made Y/n smile, he saw her. The Y/n he used to know, the one he used grew up with. He saw the real her the one that he knew so long ago.

"I have an idea," Jim said as he sprung up.

"What?" Y/n said with a chuckle.

"Just trust me," he said with a wink. Y/n felt her heart thump with anticipation. "Don't go anywhere 'kay I'll be back!"