Chapter 3- Rooftop Eavesdrop

It was a long and uncomfortable walk to the Inn, Y/n and Jim were being 'escorted' by robotic cops. Y/n could feel Jim's eyes staring at her but whenever she looked at him he would shoot his eyes down at the floor pretending he wasn't looking at her. If Jim was honest guilt was consuming him.

The door of the Inn opened to reveal Y/n and Jim who were in trouble with the law. Sarah dropped her tray once she saw the pair. "Okay thanks for the lift guys- come on Y/n," Jim said as he quickly tried to make a break for it.

"Not so fast," the officer said as he grabbed Jim by his shoulder.

"Y/n!" Isla shouted from across the dining hall, Y/n could feel her face heat up in embarrassment.

"These children broke into a construction site while riding an unlicensed solar surfer," the cop explained in his robotic voice. "If we wanted to we could keep these two in holding overnight-"

"No no," Sarah said nervously. "C-could we just-"

"Pardon me, officer, if I may interject here."

"Oh no," Jim whispered as he rubbed his eyes.

"I am the noted astrophysicist, Dr. Delbert Doppler, perhaps you've heard of me...no? Ah, I have a clipping," the dog-like creature announced as he reached into his pocket.

"Are you the father of these children?" The cop rhetorically asked.

"Um no-"

"Ew," Sarah reacted as she pulled Delbert aside.

The Doctor to offence to this, looked back at Isla, "that was uncalled for," he said offendedly.

"We'll talk about it later," Isla mumbled under her breath.

"Madame we are letting these kids off with a warning," the cop on the left said as he let go of Y/n's arms, she slowly turned to face the officer. The cop on the right realized Jim was a little more aggravated than Y/n.

"I see here that's theirs noting on your file," the robot scanned Y/n for her records, "make better decisions kid," the said referring to relations with Jim. Jim looked up at the cop offended, he then looked at Y/n feeling completely embarrassed.

"Take care now," the cops said gingerly as they tipped their hats off to Sarah and Isla before leaving.

And there it was; the quiet before the storm.

"Are you insane? Are you insane?!" Isla said as she approached Y/n. "You-"

"Isla," Jim cut in, "this isn't her fault at all, I was the one who told her to get on the board, I was the one who flew into the construction site-"

"And why did you?" Sarah asked angrily. "Why would you risk yourself... not only you, what if something happened to Y/n? What would you have done?"

Jim looked over to Y/n, his posture then slumped down, "I dunno." Just then a crash of dishes came from the opposite side of the room.

Sarah looked back and rubbed their eyes. "Isla could you cover that mess I have to get drinks," Sarah said tiredly.

Isla nodded, and soon the ladies walked away leaving Jim to ponder his thoughts. "Jim?" Y/n whispered she wanted to treasure him, "Hey, it's okay-"

Jim ignored her then grabbed a tray and began to pile up dirty dishes. "You heard what he said; 'make better decisions.'"

Y/n paused for a moment as she looked at Jim. "Oh... you don't think-"

"That he was referring to me, Duchess?" Jim said angrily. "I know he was."

"Jim come on-"

"Just get off my case okay?! Maybe Dimitri would be a much better company," Jim said raising his voice at Y/n by now everyone was looking at them. Judging them with their eyes.

"Jim please" Y/n whispered looking around, "keep your voice down."

"Why? Everyone knows that you're gawking over him! It's pathetic, you're so full of yourself and yet you still fall for a guy like him!" Jim unleashed. "I can see why you two like each other, you guys are perfect for one another-"

Y/n knew what she wanted to say, but she wasn't going to in front of the entire dining hall. She then grabbed Jim by his arm and abruptly pulled him into the kitchen. Jim's eyes widened as he followed. "What is wrong with you?" She said as she let go of his arm. "Nobody is interested or amused by your bad boy persona, you're mad at the world because of what? Because of your dad?!"

Jim clenched his jaw.

"Guess what Jim, I had a father too... And he's not coming back either, but unlike you, I haven't been taking it out on other people! Grow up, Jim!" Y/n huffed out, she didn't like to argue, she could feel her breath shaking.

Jim just stood there in silence as Y/n told him the truth. "Are you done, Duchess?" Jim said in a cocky tone as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "What an earful that was."

Jim finally looked down to see something wrong, she was crying. If he was being honest he had never made her cry he had always teased her and got under her skin, but she's never cried about it. He felt completely horrible he didn't know what to do. "Y/n, hey," he said with a soft voice as he took his hands out of his pocket, he wanted to comfort her in some way but insisted he slumped down once again. Y/n simply looked up at him and left the kitchen, leaving Jim to feel even more horrendous than before.

Jim felt awful for the way he treated Y/n, he didn't mean the words he shouted at her, or to embarrass her in front of the entire dining hall. Jim wanted to apologize for what he had said

He headed to Y/n's room in the Inn, before he knocked on the door he could hear crying from within her room. Jim leaned on the door as he rubbed his eyes. 'Why am I like this?' He questioned himself as he thought of Y/n. He then walked away from the door, Jim knew he was the last person Y/n wanted to see.

✵✵✵

Y/n cried on her bed at the thought of Jim, but it wasn't just for him, it was everything. It was the cops, her disappointed mother, she wished she knew her father. Y/n wished that her mother didn't have to work anymore and that they could live a comfortable lifestyle, just the two of them.

Y/n looked out the sky to see it began to rain, just then a crash of lightning came from the atmosphere. Y/n remembered the first night he met Jim, the night Isla, her mother came to the Inn, Y/n sat up in her bed waiting for her mother, alone and afraid. Y/n looked over at her nightstand to see the locket that her father had given her, she opened it to read it once again; 'Comet.' She reached ou for it, her hand hovered over it for an instant until she dropped it. Y/n then huff as she dropped her hand away from the locket. She made her way to the dining hall to hear her mother and Sarah still having a deep conversation.

Jim sat on the roof for a little while, he too was reminiscing on the night they met. How he brought a book and they spent all night reading it until they both fell asleep. His thoughts were soon cut off by the sound of his mother's and Isla's voices talking to one another.

"I don't know what to do with him."