The Stranger

Magmatic's point of view

My body flailed around in the air as I fell. My wings tried to beat. My talons tried to grab onto something. The world around me grinded to a near halt. An IceWing collided with me in the air.

The first question I asked myself was what an IceWing was doing out here. If they got out here, surely they would have to navigate the harsh Kingdom of Sand, which certainly couldn't be enjoyable for them.

My second question was why he wasn't paying attention. I think he was facing towards the sun, so it may have gotten in his eyes. Maybe that's why he didn't see me coming.

My third question was why he wasn't dying. Why was there no smoke? Why was there no fire? Something was wrong. Maybe this was just an IceWing thing? I had no idea.

Our bodies hit the ground with a loud thud. I quickly lept to my feet. The IceWing slowly got up. We locked eyes. His seemed to be snowing. Little white particles fell from the top of his light blue eyes, which faded to white towards the bottom. It was kind of beautiful...

"Who are you and why aren't you dead?!" I flared my wings. The IceWing flinched in response.

"I don't know! I should be asking you the same question!" He yelled back at me.

"Okay, why don't we take this slow? I think it's quite obvious that we're both confused. Explain yourself, or I'll claw your eyeballs out." I growled.

"Fine. I'm Taiga, a runaway IceWing. I was born with frostscales. Icescales. Whatever you want to call them. I freeze whatever I touch, okay? Anyways, I've been moping around the Sky Kingdom for seven years and we happened to collide. So, I ask you: why aren't you freezing?"

"I'm Magmatic. I'm a SkyWing, an outcast to my tribe. I was born with firescales, so I burn anything I t-" The IceWing cut me off.

"So we have similar abilities? That's it! That's why we could touch each other, because our scales canceled out." His explanation made sense.

"So, what are you doing out here," I asked. "You must've gotten here through the Kingdom of Sand."

"I, uh, didn't have much of a choice. Look, it's a long story for another day. And speaking of another day, I'd like to meet you somewhere without plant life, so that we can do a little experiment," Taiga said.

"Experiment?" I asked. "What do you mean, exactly?"

"Well, we can touch each other, can't we?" Taiga shook his wings. "Why stop there? I'm sure there's more we can do. Also, I really want to touch you, seeing as I haven't been able to do it without murdering someone."

I nodded. "When and where?"

"Meet me at noon on that rocky perch over there." Taiga pointed towards something in the distance. "We can talk about our abilities and learn how they interact over there, where we won't cause any fires."

"Sounds good to me," I said. Before I could say anything else, Taiga took off, flying away. I wondered what he was doing, but didn't think about it too much. What I did think about, as happiness washed over me, was that I actually touched someone! And they didn't die!

Maybe I can turn my life around with him. We'll become friends, and we can show Pyrrhia that we can be more than just living dangers to society.

Howdy! I just want to apologize for how short these first couple chapters are. I promise, they'll get longer as the story continues. I hope that you'll stick around for when they do!