The Beach

Hello! I just wanted to make a fun little chapter with Taiga and Magmatic hanging out together! I thought the idea of the two playing at the beach would be funny, especially when I thought about what would happen if Taiga got in the water. Also, I feel like they should be getting closer to one another. Hope you enjoy!

Magmatic's point of view

"Smell that fresh ocean breeze..." I breathed in deeply, sinking my toes into the sand. It kind of felt like it was melting into something, but I didn't pay it much mind. What mattered was that I was with my best friend, Taiga. Since we met, the two of us became inseparable. We spent a lot of time together, visiting one another frequently. We got strange looks from the other dragons, but neither of us cared. Together, we were happy.

"It's nice," Taiga said from behind me. "This place is somehow more beautiful than the Ice Kingdom, and that's saying something." Taiga dragged his tail through the sand as he walked towards me, leaving a trail of frost in the indent it left behind.

"I've never been there, but I'm sure it looks really pretty," I offered. "Everyone talks about how gorgeous the IceWings are in general. Not just their palace, but the dragons themselves."

"Yeah, if you tried to go there, you would probably get shot down by the Great Ice Cliff," he said. I titled my head, confused. He picked up on this and elaborated. "It's an animus-touched cliff that automatically fires ice spears at anyone who isn't at least part IceWing."

"Yikes," I responded. "That sounds scary. But wouldn't I just be able to catch them and melt them?"

"Maybe," Taiga said. "But I certainly don't want to find out, because you could get hurt. Or worse."

"Oh, come on," I said, nudging Taiga with my wing. "We're not out here to worry, silly. We're out here to have fun!" I jumped into the ocean and turned around, dragging my tail across the water to send a wave straight for Taiga.

"Hey-" Taiga was interrupted by a mouthful of saltwater, and he coughed and sputtered and spat the water out. "Gross!" He rubbed his tongue in an attempt to get the taste out of his mouth. It worked, but coated his tongue in sand in the process. He growled, spitting it out as well. I fell onto my back in the waves, rolling around with laughter.

"That is not funny," he fussed. It looked like he was staring into my soul, with how intently he was looking at me. I was too busy losing my breath to care.

"You should have seen your face!" I barely managed to get that sentence out before I started to laugh again. Taiga was not amused.

"Why, you..." Taiga couldn't hold back his smile anymore. He was laughing along with me.

"What are you gonna do about it?" I taunted him, giving him a toothy grin. Judging by the way he crouched down, he was about to attack.

"This," he stated, before leaping into the air to tackle me. I rolled out of the way just in time, and he dove into the water. There was a loud crack, and when I got up, I saw a block of ice floating in the water. Inside of it lay a scowling Taiga, trying to claw his way out.

"Magmatic," he growled. "Get me out of here right now!"

"Hey, it's your foolishness that caused you to get stuck," I stated, sticking my tongue out.

"Yeah, but I can't melt through ice!" He bit at the ice in frustration.

"Okay, fine," I said, wading towards the trapped dragon. I dragged him to the shore, and once he was out of the water, I wrapped my wings around the ice block. Slowly, it began to melt away, and the water that was pooling up around him froze. He stood up and flared his wings.

"My hero," Taiga said, stretching. There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice, but he was mostly serious. He could have been trapped in there if it wasn't for me.

"Did you learn your lesson?" I teased. He reached up, snapping an icicle off of his ear, wincing.

"Yes," he replied. "Don't dive into the ocean if you're an ice dragon. You will get frozen solid."

"That's right." Taiga walked a little closer to shove me with his wing. I giggled and shoved him back. "Well, it's not my fault you have magical ice powers!"

"I know, but I kinda hate them sometimes." He sighed.

"Think about it like this: if you didn't have frostscales, you wouldn't be able to touch me. Think of how horrible your life would be without me!" I was mostly teasing, but Taiga nodded, knowing that he was better off with me.

"I guess it isn't all bad," he said. "Even if I'm a danger to pretty much everyone around me, at least I'm friends with the one dragon I can actually touch."

"See? There you go! Start looking on the positive side of things. I know it's hard, considering how much you got picked on, but I promise that your mood and overall outlook on life will improve," I explained.

"That...makes sense, actually." He stepped back and closed his eyes. "I just wish it were easier for me to look past all of that stuff."

"Don't worry, Taiga. I'm here for you. I can help you think more positively," I told him. "How can you not, around me?"

He gave me a look that read, "Seriously?" and turned back around to sit down and stare out at the ocean. The sun was setting, the clouds turning pink and purple.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" I walked up next to him, sitting down in the sand next to him.

"It is", he responded. A wave washed up on our talons, the water freezing around his, and the water boiling around mine. "Thank you for today, Magmatic. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, Taiga. I'd be happy to do this again sometime, if you want." My voice was soft and quiet, contrasting its usual enthusiasm and volume. Taiga lay down, resting his head right next to me.

"I'm sleepy," he mumbled. I looked down at him and smiled. He looked cute, curled up next to me. More cute than usual, at least.

Wait, did I really just think that? More cute than usual? That means that I find him cute all the time, and that-

"Then get some rest," I said, cutting off my thoughts. "I'll be right here."

"Mhm," he replied. I lay down next to him, and I felt his head lean against my underbelly. I hadn't noticed it until now, but his body was very soft, almost squishy. It felt nice.

I lay my head sideways on the sand, getting comfortable. I intended to stay up until he got back up, but before I knew it, I was slipping into a peaceful sleep next to my friend.

Hey, everyone! That's the end of the first part of this story! It will be split into five parts, each six chapters long. I'll release the next parts as they're ready. With that being said, I hope you enjoyed the first part of Frost and Fire, and stay tuned for the next release! I'm not sure when it will be finished, but I'll try my best. Bye bye! 🩵