(46) Love vs. Lust

Love vs. Lust

Chapter 46

Cole held my hand tightly as we walked down the long white hallway. It was shiny and smelled of antiseptic, causing my stomach to flip. At the end of the hallway the doctor opened a door and stepped aside so that we could enter. It was a medium size office but it offered me no comfort. It was too clean and smelled like chemicals.

“Have a seat,” Dr. Smithson said as he closed the door behind us. We did as we were told and sat down in the two chairs in front of his desk. He walked around us and sat down, facing us from the other side of the desk.

“Would you like something to drink?” he asked, sounding ill at ease.

“No, I just want you to tell us what’s going on,” I demanded, having waited long enough. My nerves couldn’t take it anymore and I’m sure Cole felt the same.

“Alright then,” Dr. Smithson said, taking a file out of one of his drawers before continuing.

“Like I told you on the phone, there has been a change in Gordon’s condition,” he said, opening the file.

“Yeah, you already told us that. Can you please get to the point,” Cole stated, sounding a bit irritated. The doctor gave Cole a strange look and then focused his attention on me.

“His been asking for you,” Dr. Smithson said, causing my heart to speed up and the world to start spinning around me.

I felt Cole’s hand stiffen in mine and I looked over at him. He looked both terrified and confused at the same time, the color from his skin had drained and he just stared at me like he had just heard something unimaginable. If he looked like this I could only imagine what I must have looked like.

“Gabby,” Dr. Smithson said. I turned in my seat and looked directly at him.

“Yes,” I breathed, not able to form a proper sentence.

“We are still running some tests on him since this is a very strange situation but if you like you can go and see him,” the doctor said.

“I don’t understand, the other doctor said he was as good as dead,” Cole stated, from beside me.

“I know this must come as a big surprise to you but the fact of the matter is that this kind of thing does happen. It is very rare so you should be really grateful,” Dr. Smithson replied. Cole nodded his head in understanding but he didn’t look grateful at all. He looked worried and angry.

“Thanks doctor,” I said, pushing myself out of the chair and to my feet. Cole got up as well, still holding on to my hand.

We made our way out of the office and down the long white hallway without saying a word. I think we were both in shock. I never imagined this would happen, it didn’t make any sense and the more I thought about it the more nervous I got. Now don’t get me wrong, I was ecstatic that Gordon had woken up. I was just confused as hell as to how it was even possible.

I could feel myself freaking out and by the time we reached his room I was hyperventilating. I looked at the door that would lead me to him and then I looked at Cole.

“It’ll be ok,” he whispered, smiling sadly at me. I nodded my head but I didn’t believe him, my whole life was one huge mess, how could anything ever be ok again?

“I… I should go in,” I stuttered, still battling to talk.

“I’m coming with you,” Cole stated, tightening his grip on my hand. I wasn’t sure if it was such a good idea but I didn’t have the strength to argue so I let him lead me inside.

Gordon looked just like he did earlier when I was with him and for a second I wondered if they were pulling some kind of horrible prank on me. Cole stopped in his tracks halfway to Gordon’s bed and just stared at him. I stood with him for a few second before loosening my hand from his and walking over to Gordon’s bed. I had to see that he was alive for myself.

I sat down on the edge of the bed next to him and quickly looked over to where Cole was standing to make sure he was still ok.

“You can wait outside,” I said, trying to make things easier for him, this whole situation must be pure torture for him.

“No, I’m staying,” he said, stubbornly, taking a step closer. Once again I thought about how much of a bad idea it was for him to be in here with us but I pushed the thought out of my mind and focused my attention on Gordon.

“I’m here,” I whispered as I lifted my hand and gently touched his face. He didn’t respond at first but then his eyes fluttered open and focused on me for a second before closing again.

“Gordon,” I breathed, not sure if I could believe my eyes.

“Gabby,” he breathed in a strained voice as his fingers started twitching.

“I’m right here,” I said, grabbing his hand and holding it in both of mine.

“I’m so sorry,” he said a little bit louder, probably wanting to make sure I heard him. I was shocked by his words, not expecting him to apologize, I mean he just woke up and his first though is to apologize to me. He must have realized how much pain he had caused me by doing what he did but still, I didn’t want his apologies, I just wanted him to get better.

“It’s ok, just concentrate on getting better,” I whispered as a storm of tears escaped my eyes and started running down my face.

At that moment a nurse and a doctor walked into the room.

“Were going to have to ask you to step outside, we have to run some tests on him,” the doctor said. It was a middle aged woman and she looked friendly but I felt like cursing her at that moment. I just got Gordon back, I didn’t want to leave him already.

“It’s going to take a while, you might want to go home and come back later,” she stated, smiling at me.

I could tell that I didn’t have a choice so I nodded my head and then quickly looked back to Gordon.

“I have to go now, but I promise I’ll be back,” I whispered as I leaned forward and gently kissed him on his forehead. He moaned and stirred but didn’t wake up.

“We really have to start,” the doctor said, obviously trying to throw me out of the room but wanting to be polite about it.

“Ok, were leaving,” I replied as I reluctantly got up from his bed.

Cole was still standing in the middle of the room so I took a hold of his hand and led him out into the hallway.

“I’m sorry you had to see that,” I said as I pulled him to a stop.

“It’s ok, I know you love him,” Cole replied, looking down into my eyes.

“I love you more,” I replied, my words taking both me and him by surprise.