twelve

Verosika pulled me into her apartment, her beaming smile luring me in without question.

she brought me to the living room, jumping onto the couch, "sit down!"

I did as she said, "so.."

"So.." she smiled at me, an alluring, beautiful smile.

"Why'd you bring me here?" I wonder out loud, sitting crisscross on the couch facing towards her.

"It felt private.. considering we are talking about kinda serious."

"Wait.. what are we talking about?"

"Us?"

"Yes.. a topic we haven't discussed in a while." my hands fidgeted in my lap, nervous about the conversation to come.

"Yes. Uh," she looks a little nervous, "so. The favour thing? How long is that gonna- like.. how long is it going to go on?"

"I wasn't sure, if I'm being real. And if you want me to be brutally honest, I don't know why I even bailed you out."

"No, I actually really wanted to thank you. My crew and are good, but not police precinct good."

"Still.. I think I did it because seeing you for the first time in.. how many years?.." I trailed off, figuring out how long it's been since the incident.

"5."

"Its been five years since I last saw you and then you show up, suddenly working in the building I work at too. I- I don't really understand.."

Verosika smiled. Why is she smiling? Her eyes crinkle a little when she smiles. Why does she look at me like that?

"You don't have to understand, you know. Maybe we can just.. start to talk to each other again? Like we did before?"

Like we did before? How does she think we can just go back to how we were?

"Like we did before? What- I don't understand how you can say that."

She's fidgeting with her hands. Why is she doing that? Is she feeling guilty? No. She can't.

"I-... I see."

She's looking down.

"See what? How I haven't forgotten what you've done?"

She can't look at me. Why isn't she looking at me. Is she crying?

"Daize, please, I've changed."

She's crying. Why is she crying?

"Changed?"

"Yes, just- hear me out. I'm begging you."