Chapter 66

Tony pounds on Loki's door, too excited to even try to be quiet about it.

Loki groans from inside. "Is it morning already?" he mumbles.

That's all the acknowledgment Tony needs before slamming the door open. Loki's lying on his side, his snowflake blanket draped over him gently while he hugs Edward to his chest. He forces one bleary eye open. "Hmm?"

"I think I got it."

Loki's eyes snap open, and he sits up immediately. "You what?"

"I think I got it!" Tony repeats eagerly. "I think I figured it out. I think I can get your memories back."

"You do?"

"I do!"

Loki scoffs, tossing Edward against his pillow and clambering to his feet. "Show me."

"Come on."

Loki follows Tony out of his room, and for the first time since he came back, there's nothing but excitement in the air. They're finally going to figure this out. They're going to get his memories back. It might not fix things between them. It might not make anything better at all. It may even make things worse. But this is what Loki wants, and he's finally figured out – hopefully – how to get it to him.

They're just passing Steve's door when it opens, and a very tired-looking Captain pokes his head into the hall. "It's the middle of the night," he grumbles. "Do you have to be so loud?"

"I think I figured it out," Tony says.

"What?"

"I think I figured it out!" he repeats. "I think I can get Loki's memories back!"

Steve scoffs. "Tony, it's three in the morning."

"Yeah, and I'm gonna get Loki his memories back!"

Steve shakes his head to himself, exasperated. "Alright, I'm coming."

It wasn't quite an invitation so much as an overenthusiastic "I can't believe I just solved this unsolvable problem," but Loki doesn't protest, so neither does Tony. He's too tired and too excited to complain, so if Steve wants to join them, so be it.

"Should we tell the others?" Steve asks.

"I mean, it might not work," Tony says. It might have only worked for him because these are memories he still has. He doesn't know the ins and outs of magic.

"But if it does, they might want to be here," Steve says. "I don't know; it's up to you."

Tony looks at Loki expectantly. He doesn't particularly care either way. This is his call. Does he want them around if and when he gets his memories back?

Loki hesitates, but he nods. "I suppose we should tell them, at least; give them the option."

"JARVIS?" Tony says. "Let Pepper and Banner know what's going on – and let me know if they're coming."

"Of course, sir," JARVIS replies.

It grows quiet after that, but Tony hardly notices. He's just so excited. He loves science. He loves when things work out. This is the exact high he's been chasing his whole life, and he can never get enough of it.

Loki finally breaks the silence once they're in the elevator. "It's three in the morning?"

Steve, who's in the midst of rubbing his eyes, nods. "Mm-hmm."

The god looks at Tony curiously. "Why are you awake at three in the morning?"

"Working on this!" Tony says, like it should be obvious.