Chapter 8: Alex

It was Monday.  I had to go into lecture that morning so Alex was getting an Uber from the airport to my flat.  I left a spare key for her, so she would be waiting for me when I got home.  

Lecture was fine, however the entire time I was thinking about reuniting with Alex.  I almost thought about faking sick, but I already did that once this semester, I couldn't do it twice, even if I did have the placement with my professor.   

Lecture finally ended and I raced home.  I opened the door to my flat and there she was. I ran up and hugged her tightly.  For so many years she was my rock, my platonic soulmate.  When I needed her she would do everything in her power to be there, like catching a 7 hour flight on 5 hours notice to come see me. 

We sat on the couch and I filled her in on every single detail of my life from the past three months. 

"So basically, Owen is finally done with, Leah likes you, you might like her, and she stayed Saturday night when you found out" 

"Am I being stupid?" 

"I think you're figuring yourself out" 

I nodded. 

"I also can't believe you told Leah before me" 

We both started to laugh and spent the rest of the day catching up, laughing, and her trying to start picking up some of the pieces. 

---- 

It was now Tuesday and I had to go into Arsenal, I had to see Leah, we haven't really talked since that night.  She texted me asking how I was doing Sunday night and I told her Alex was here. 

Alex woke up with me, giving me a pep talk before I left for the day. 

"You know what you should do" 

"What?" 

"You should host a party on Friday, invite your Arsenal friends, and Leah" 

"That'd be fun" 

I made sure she would be fine at my place and not bored and then headed to work. 

When I pulled up to Arsenal I didn't see anyone and walked into my professor's office.  The morning sessions went quick.  I saw Beth in her session, hoping she would come find me at lunch.  There was so much to tell her. 

It was lunch and I went outside to my usual spot.  I texted Beth to see if she would join me, and she did. 

"Hey" 

"I heard what happened, Leah told me, I'm sorry"  

She gave me a hug, I'm assuming if Leah told her, she told her everything.

"Alex is here" 

"That's nice" 

"She was saying that I should throw a party Friday, to celebrate me getting out of that relationship I guess" 

"Is this you inviting me" 

"I was hoping you would take care of the guest list" 

"Will do" 

She spent the rest of her Lunch with me.  We talked about the most random things, it was like my breakup never happened, and Owen didn't exist. 

The rest of the day went on, and then it was time for Leah's session.  We hadn't talked yet, so I had no idea where we stood, but she let me stay in the room.  It's a good thing my professor knows she's weird, one day she'll like you the next she might hate you.  Apparently she was the same with Alina, so I never had to worry about being caught acting unprofessionally.