Chapter Five

It had been three weeks since Rohan first found himself in this odd new world. He had already adapted and gotten used to the alternative Japans customs.

After having gotten a position as a Mangaka, he upgraded his home and office into a new and notably better one, at least better than a simple hotel room. Despite his manga having only three or so chapters out, it had already become a huge hit, placing 8th in global manga ratings. He had already made a name for himself, skyrocketing in popularity as his unknown background and sudden appearance caused a lot of gossip all over Japan.

Rohan's success earned his publisher a comically large figure of money, causing numerous other publishers to reach out to him in desperate attempts to secure him a position with them instead. Of course, Rohan couldn't care less. He simply kept pumping out more fine works of peak fiction, like a slave to the craft he perfected.

Out of the countless different people he had garnered the attention of, one individual stood out.

Nezu.

Was he a bear? Was he a rat? Maybe a mouse? He was the principal of UA High, and he was looking for an art teacher. The previous art teacher had recently been found dead in some hotel bathroom stall, his arm ripped off of the rest of his body.

Coincidentally enough, around the same time all of this happened, a new mangaka was rising up the ranks at a rate never before seen. Seemingly revolutionizing the whole manga industry with his beautiful work. Intrigued by this, Nezu decided to dive headfirst into this rabbit hole of finding out who this Rohan Kishibe really was.

He did extensive research, trying to find out as much information about the mangaka as possible. To Nezu's surprise, this task was harder than fetching top secret government files. He found little to no information about the mangaka, only a simple picture of him on his publishers website.

The picture gave him a good chunk of information to work with, however. The man did not at all look like the average person. Even though it would be safe to assume that this Rohan person didn't possess a mutation quirk of sorts, his choice of fashion and his hairstyle was still notably bizarre. The intelligent animal hybrid took mental note of Rohan's appearance.

Tired and frustrated with the seemingly mundane sisyphean task, Nezu lightly slammed his paws against the office desk, pushing the chair back as he got off. He walked out of the room, headed out of the building to the one place he knew for comfort; Massimo Volpe's cafe.

Volpe was an Italian man, a reserved yet unique one at that. Despite his brother wanting to open a restaurant, he had decided to establish a cafe instead. Nezu took nothing but joy from Volpe's decision as he essentially got high off of tea.

Once Nezu arrived, he walked over to the front counter and asked for his usual tea. Once the employee took his order, he swiftly went to take a seat over at his usual spot. This was essentially a routine for Nezu, considering he was a regular customer at this cafe.

Nezu got his order within a few minutes. He sipped on his tea silently as he pondered deeply, thinking about what he would do to find the mysterious mangaka he had found himself so invested in earlier. An expression of contemplation spread across his face, entering a trance-like state as he zoned out. The tea increasing his intelligence only clouded his mind with even more thoughts, until he was broken out of his trance from the sound of a loud thud.

Nezu immediately snapped out of his trance, his head turning directly to the source of the sound. It was a briefcase. A brown leathered briefcase atop the wooden circular desk. Nezu noticed a hand on the handle of the briefcase. His eyes trailed up as it followed the arm to see who was holding the briefcase. His heart and brain hit a dead end as a wave of unexpected surprise with a hint of relief washed over his face.

Rohan Kishibe.

Rohan sighed audibly, sitting down on the chair casually as he ordered a drink of his own. He had visible bags under his eyes, his pupils in a limbo of dilation as his expression looked less sane than not. He softly rubbed his eyes as he slumped over the desk, as though sitting on the cold metal chair alone was enough to refill his energy.

Nezu was both in denial and in shock simultaneously, checking again to make sure that the same person he was extensively researching is in the same obscure cafe he is a regular customer of. Nezu found the situation almost unbelievable, the insane coincidence catching him off guard.

With a deep breath, Nezu recollected his composure and thoughts. He slid off of his own chair, waking over to Rohan's table as he took a seat across from him.

Rohan paid no mind to the fact that some animal hybrid just took a seat in front of him, just waiting patiently for his coffee so as to start off his day fresh.

Nexus cleared his throat, almost demanding attention as he spoke.

"Nice to meet you, Kishibe Rohan!"

"You know my name?"

Nezu chuckled at his question, finding it to be almost ridiculous.

"Who doesn't, really? You've made such a name for yourself in the manga industry. People see you as the saving grace of all manga. It's quite interesting, to be honest."

Making direct eye contact with Rohan, Nezu reached his paw out to Rohan, offering a friendly handshake.

"What do you want?"

Rohan's tone was that of a tired and careless one, his eyes boring into Nezu's soul.

"I want to offer you a job. It won't jeopardize your current occupation as a mangaka, of course. It's a bit more.. unique. You see, UA high used to have an art teacher. Since the previous teacher died, I've been looking for someone to give the job.. I think you can already see where I'm going with this."

Rohan nodded thoughtfully, paying close attention to every word of Nezu.

"And how would this position benefit me in any way?"

"Think about it, Rohan! You could achieve something that not even your publishers could allow you to achieve; direct inspiration to the next generation of heroes and students alike! Anyone could just pick up one of your mangas and read through it, maybe cry once or twice and enjoy the read.. but to experience how these things are done and to learn the inner workings behind such masterpieces will benefit the creativity of these students like nothing else!"

Rohan understood the point Nezu was trying to get across. Thinking about it for a moment, he let out a loud groan and nodded.

"Fine. But you're going to deal with all the annoying paperwork.."

Nezu nodded happily. He pulled out his phone, opening up a digital copy that Rohan could sign on.

"Just sign right here and leave the rest to me!"

Rohan inhaled heavily, his lungs filling up with air as he released the same air with a soft sigh.  He mentally prepared to sign as he reached his hand out to the phone, grabbing it as he looks at the screen. Rohan reluctantly jotted down his signature in the empty box.

What is he getting himself into?

                                      ———

This chapter was kind of annoying to write because it was midnight and I kept falling asleep so I had to finish it in the morning. Hope you enjoyed though.