4 The Anvil's Amulet

"Was it worth it?"

Angus struggled to draw his next breath and pulled the amulet with its heavy silver chain over his head. His frame shrunken, a shadow of the sturdy blacksmith he once was. His skeletal fingers clutched the peridot crystal held in a chunky setting of gleaming white metal. The stone was once a mere half-hand's width in his palm. Now both hands couldn't span it well enough to keep it safe.

Petrus knelt at the side of the bed and put his ear close to his father's mouth. The whispered answer barely louder that the strident breath Angus drew, wasn't what he expected.

"It was. And even though the cost is dear, I would pay it again, my son."

"You saved us, Father. Stopped the Bishop and his evil plans. Saved Mother from burning as a witch, and helped our rightful Lord retake his Earldom. I would say it was a success. Except for the curse. Why should your life be forfeit?"

"I had a choice, the day the anvil split and revealed this hiding inside." Angus spread the chain out on his sunken chest. "The second I took it in my hand I knew there was something more to it than just a gem and metal."

"I know the story, you freed our Chieftain from the Bishop's soldiers, not even a minute after you put it around your neck."

"And I couldn't lift my hammer properly for two days after. It drained my strength like a peasant does a tankard of ale." Angus fell back against the pillows. "Call your mother, your brothers and your sister. It won't be long now."

Petrus eased the covers over his father's frail shoulders. It was hard to accept the man who threw him effortlessly into the air and caught him before he fell to the ground, was barely able to move himself in the bed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

"He has to die to live again." Petrus' sister smiled, showing every one of her pearly white teeth. "It's a test of faith, you see."

"That makes no sense, Annalise. None!"

"I finally found the amulet in an ancient tome. The library in the cathedral has many a dusty shelf. I doubt the damn Bishop even knew it exists," Annalise explained. "Father has to be willing to drain his last drop of life, and breathe his last breath, before the curse is broken."

"Then you best bring all our candles to his room. He doesn't have much longer. I think we will lose him tonight. I need to get the littles."

"Aye, Shamus, Amus, and Remus should say their goodbyes," Annalise agreed. "Those three are the devil's spawn according to the Bishop. Why? Because he hated Mother."

"Never mind, sister. He's gone now. Burning in hell on a very hot rock,"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Angus my love," his wife whispered.

"I'm content, dearling. I have done what I must. God will grant me the rest I crave. Don't grieve for me," Angus gasped as she held tight to his hand. "The triplets?"

"Our little ones are asleep. I want them to know you by your portrait. It's finished now," Maeve said.

"Aye, better this way. They are far to young to sit this vigil with our older two."

Petrus nodded once. Guilt for his decision eased, and his chest tightened, watching the ragged rise of his father's chest.

Maeve climbed onto the bed, curled herself against the skin and bones pared almost bare, by the curse of the Amulet.

"Cold," Angus whispered.

Annalise brought another blanket and poked the fire until the flames roared on the hearth.

Petrus knelt at the bedside and grasped his father's right hand. Annalise joined him and held his right hand.

The room shimmered in flickering honey light as the candle flames sputtered.

Annalise rose. "I'll light one more."

"No need, daughter, Angus Kelly is no more." Tears rained silently from Maeve's eyes as her shoulders shook. "Leave, I want some time with him."

Petrus opened the bed chamber door and waved his sister out ahead of him.

"Don't think you're right. He's gone."

"Until he's in the ground and the bell doesn't ring, I believe he will survive," Annalise declared.

"Believe as you wish. I'll be letting the priest know he's gone." Petrus pulled his tartan around his shoulders and headed toward the door.

"Give it until the dawn breaks. It's moonless tonight," Annalise advised.

"Go, rest. I find I cannot even think of sleep." Petrus took his candle into the dining room and sat at the head of the table. He watched as Annalise disappeared up the servant's stairs. Staring into the coals, he cursed his dry eyes, and exhaustion took him as his head drooped onto his chest.

>>>>>>>>>>>

"Petrus! Out of my chair. You have been our rock these last weeks. But I am the head of this household!"

He reacted before he was fully awake, his father would take a switch to him. His chair was his alone. He opened one eye as his knees hit the wooden boards.

"I'm sorry Papa," his childhood name for his father came from his lips without thinking.

"Faith my son, is a wonderful thing. I was content with my fate. I woke this morning as I always was." A strong hand grasped his arm and lifted him to his feet. The amulet glowed against his chest as the first rays of dawn pierced through the window glass.

"I'll gift it to the Stewart. A symbol of the miracles our clan has wrought."

The roar of the gathered men drowned the speaker out ending the retelling of the Miracle of Loch Aine. He held the amulet high over his head.

"I give you this symbol of the miracle long past. May you wear it in good health as you lead us through the next years. My loyalty is yours, Angus Stewart. Lead well." His brother draped the necklace of chunky silver links over the newly elected Chieftain's head.