12 Blueprint of Hope

"How far back do you think this goes? And do any of those computers work. Nothing hi-tech has anywhere else." Jordan tapped his foot impatiently as Elanor inspected the monitors and cabling in the deepest level of the building.

"It's all intact as far as I can see. Just need to trace this fat wire up. I think I saw it in the stairwell as we came down." Her strawberry blonde ponytail bobbed as she gestured dramatically.

Elanor was always a bit over the top, but her knowledge of computers was why she was on the team. He appreciated the beauty of her as well. Her odd lavender irises brought his own eyes to hers more often than he would like. He didn't have time for the flips his stomach did whenever she was close.

"Where's Egbert?" Elanor demanded. "If he's up on that little bit of the corner that survived, I need to know if the solar panel up there is working."

"I'll go up if you want to check out where that door goes."

"Is Clara around?"

"I think she went into the next pile of rubble. I wonder why we keep doing this. It's been almost a year since we started the project. Nothing interesting. Just room after room of computers that don't work. These offices are a waste of time."

"Yeah." Elanor nodded vigorously, "but what if we find the library? The maps say it was in this quadrant. Even if every street sign is gone, we have to keep assessing and hoping. I want to know how it used to be."

Jordan nodded. He was tired and discouraged. There were only three more heaps to explore. They were running out of places to look.

The door at the end of the long row of computer terminals burst open.

"You've got to come see. I called Egbert down, and he's already got his head buried in a book." Clara was bouncing, the heels of her boots created an quick rhythm, and they heard Egbert's disembodied voice.

"Books? I thought nothing organic survived in this section of the city. All that's left is stone, plastic and glass." Jordan grabbed Elanor's hand and tugged her toward the open door.

"How did you find us?" Elanor asked as she tugged her hand free.

"Luck. And you know me, I'm a sucker for a closed door," Clara said with a rueful smile.

Jordan shook his head. Sometimes he forgot Clara was a girl with her short boyish cap of ebony curls, and skin as black as night, her attitude was always push forward. She kept them going when they found nothing time and again.

"Well, I'm glad you open them. I almost gave up again, this morning," Jordan said.

Clara took a broken brick and wedged it against the open door before leading down a short passage and into a dim room.

"Hey, guys, you have to see this. I think we stumbled on the mother lode." Egbert pointed to the sign above an archway across from them.

"Library of Congress? Is this what Elder Thomas was talking about?" Jordan asked.

"We found it! I'm reading a medical textbook. Doc Mathews is going to faint when I tell her. Oh, and Elanor, the solar panels up that stair tower? The wire coming down is in good shape, and I think if we can clean the grime off, your computers might have a power source."

"Who do we tell? Elder Thomas said to make sure none of the gangs find out. He wants the blueprints for what America was. He thinks we can rebuild a strong society based on the way it was. He's the only original survivor left," Elanor leaned against the metal shelves.

"We can't figure out how the paper books survived in here, but possibly because it was an archive. All sorts of protective stuff. We found sheets of lead...radiation gauges outside," Clara told them. "I think they were prepared for the Atomic Holocaust."

"Hey guys, come over here, I want to make a vow and a pact," Jordan said.

They joined their right hands in a pile as they faced each other. Each of them watching Jordan's face intently as they waited for him to speak. He took a moment to formulate the words in his head and then took a deep breath.

"Not a word to anyone. When we leave, we make like it was the usual. Disappointing grunt work and a waste of time." He got nods of agreement. "We need to get barriers and guards in place. The medics have first go at what you found, Egbert."

"Agreed." The other three said together.

"Agreed," Jordan added his voice to theirs.

"I've got my map traced," Clara said, tapping her forehead. "Memorized. We will be able to find it again."

Jordan gave her had a squeeze.

"Thanks to your incredible sense of location and direction, I know we'll get back here. Now for the hard part."

A collective groan sounded from the team.

"I know. We have to get back across the river and through No Man's Land. The best way is drooping shoulders and defeated body language. You know the drill. Gang lookouts only come after those who are excited and happy. The don't waste time on anything else."

Nods all the way around.

"Take us up, Clara."

This time Elanor held onto his hand, and his heart beat a jig in his chest. Perhaps there was hope for a peaceful resurgence of mankind. If Elder Thomas was still alive and ready to lead them.

Egbert stopped, and pulled a plastic encased sheet of parchment of the wall.

"Put this in my pack, Jordan."

"What is it, I can't quite read it."

"I can, it's the Declaration of Independence. The most important thing. Thomas pounded it into my head."

"You heard him, Clara, Elanor. Mission critical. Let's go."

Jordan nudged Clara forward. The legend was true. He wondered if the sane would rally now.