9 First Contact

Good thing I like water. And better yet, I love to sail.

Gilbert's single man catamaran was equipped with all the correct pulley systems to give him excellent control. The boat was big enough to give him a galley and storage inside one hull, and a bridge in the center, with state of the art tracking, which showed him where he had already been. His private quarters were on the other side.

The infuriating issue? He hadn't found a single piece of dry land in over a month at sea. Ultra high orbit above the blue planet showed communication satellites and advanced defensive lasers. There were intelligent inhabitants, but where?

Picking up his radio mic, he powered up, and selected the report frequency, then changed his mind. Hillary was on the other side of the globe, and he spun the tuning dial to the one they agreed on for their personal use. Central didn't need to know every last thing about their explorations.

"Gil to Hillie, come in Hillie."

"Hey Gil, have you found anything, any land at all?"

"Negative, but I have an idea. I think the natives might have underwater cities. If you remember, the scans showed distinct areas, big ones, with all the signs of an industrialized society."

"So how do we find them? And is there a cohesive world government or is each city independent?"

Hillie's sultry voice always seduced him and he reminded himself of her incredible people skills. Her boat matched his. Who knew their passion for using the wind to navigate around their home world would result in the opportunity to be part of a First Contact crew?

"Stop moving?" Gilbert suggested.

"Brilliant! I think we can assume they are cautious. They may have been attacked, either from within, or from space. Those laser's meant business. Dodging them to get to the surface and deploy the boats was an interesting mission."

"Agreed. So, we stop. Let them come to us."

"And hope they don't blow us out of the water," Hillie's sarcastic comment, jived with his assessment perfectly.

"Find one of the shallows, and anchor there. Good fishing, and I tested to make sure they aren't poisonous. I'll let you know what happens," Gilbert said,

"I like your plan. Just in case, send out a homing capsule, and let Captain know. I'll send mine up too."

"Good point. Gilbert, over and out."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gilbert wondered what the indigenous population looked like. They had to be very advanced, if lowering entire islands under water was a defense mechanism. The network over head, reminded him of the original Star Link system of old Earth.

He anchored his boat in a warm, calm area close to a reef atoll. There should have been an island in there, as the intense blue green of the lagoon was exactly right. Considering that he might have an island pop up, he wished he had a mooring buoy instead of his anchor. Wind shifts could move him into danger's way.

Best to make himself at home. It could be a long wait. He pursed his lips, as he entered his daily log into the ship's computer and prepared the homing capsule for launch. Hopefully, it would get by the lasers as an outbound object.

He took the shoulder launcher up onto the deck and turned away from his furled sails. Squinting at the sun, almost directly overhead, he loaded the tiny pellet into it. Taking aim, in line with the rotational direction of the planet, he prepared to squeeze the trigger.

Dolphin like squeaks and clicks erupted into the air at exactly the same time, and surprise put him off the correct angle. Looking over the railing, he watched the frolicking fish. Or were they air breathers? It looked like this was a big pod. He recognized at least a dozen individuals, some with babies in tow.

"What do I do if you are the sentient species? The ones that built this amazing world?" He muttered the question under his breath and tapped the universal translator in his right ear canal. "I wonder if Hillie has found another group?"

"We found her."

The voice was a melodious and pitched dead center in his hearing range.

He turned in a frantic circle looking for a source.

The being climbing up his swim ladder was changing shape as it ascended.

"We're shifters. At home under the seas when we need to be. You are determined and brave. Most visitors leave us alone after the lasers attack. Your technologies are complementary to ours."

Gilbert tapped his ear again.

"I hope you understand me. We wanted to be careful not to create an incident with our curiosity. We are impressed with your technology as well." His face flushed with embarrassment as he spoke.

"We have great capacity for language, and telepathic thought as well. Thought is universal, the chemical signatures are infallible, and therefore true no matter the language. I am Ocerina. Female, and leader of this small island." She turned to point behind us.

He was right, rising without disturbing the surface at all, a perfect tropical paradise shed water off its dome. Gilbert had no idea what the material was, but it was strong and clear. It retracted silently, and he wondered if he had really seen the huge half bubble as seawater drained away.

"I am Gilbert. Male. Explorer, and representative of the United Worlds."

"Welcome. Hillary is speaking with another leader. Calmaco has his own island. No threat perceived, but your little projectile, didn't make it out. My apologies but it was the wrong angle."

Gilbert let his shoulders relax. Maybe this the Soft Insert was the right way after all. He took a deep breath and spoke.

"Not a problem. As long as we agree, a peaceful outcome is imperative."

Ocerina inclined her head.

"Agreed."

Gilbert hoped his smile was a universal sign of friendship here.

"We will take time, before we inform Ikarma's leaders."

Ocerina's smile was brilliant,