CHAPTER TWELEVE

Songs for the chapter:
Everyday People — Sly & The Family Stone
Ain't We Funkin' Now — The Brothers Johnson

Songs for the chapter:Everyday People — Sly & The Family StoneAin't We Funkin' Now — The Brothers Johnson

📍 Ghent — 2020

"What are you doing?" Harry asked, analyzing his tuna melt before taking a messy bite causing me to chuckle.

"Just sketching people, going to add some watercolor later." I smiled, peeking up at the people bustling around the little street we sat in front of us. Everyone was so deeply rooted into their day, unaware how they would play a part in my art.

"But how can you do that if the people are constantly moving? Won't you forget their face, what they wore?"

I pushed my tongue into the corner of my mouth as I drew, peeking over at Harry for just a moment, "Well, see...I have a bit of photographic memory, but it goes even beyond that. I love to change up the people I draw. Make sad people happy...angry people relaxed. I like to make even the happy people sad, that's my favorite believe it or not. Only because when I see happy people, I can't help but wonder if they have seen a sad day in their life. It's crazy to me...that some people go through life and somehow avoid sad moments."

"I don't think people can fully avoid sad moments, Lina, I think people are just good at hiding it. At painting, like you, the perfect portrait of life." Harry said, his eyes doing that thing where I felt like he was engraving his words in my mind. Making sure I remembered everything he was saying, that I so deeply understood and believed it.

"That's a beautiful way of looking at it, Harry. It's like they can make everyone wear rose colored glasses when looking at their life." I said and he nodded.

"Exactly. I think about that a lot. How others in the world perceive me. What they think my life is like in their minds. Who they think I am." He said, biting into his sandwich again making me laugh. He was so messy when he ate, but I found myself thinking it was the cutest thing.

"Well how do you want people to perceive you, Harry?" I said, placing down my pencil, turning on my side to face him better.

"As kind, intelligent....someone with depth and understanding. Who sees everyone as equals. To me and among others." He shrugged, a soft blush on his cheeks.

"That's exactly what I've seen, so I don't doubt others see it the same way," I said brushing his hair back softly, last night in bed flashing through my thoughts.

We laid close, whispering as if there were others in the room that could hear us. My fingers were toying with his hair, twisting his curls around my fingers. There was a softness to our moment, a closeness I didn't want to melt away. He had his hands to himself and I was choosing to believe it was because he was being respectful, not because he wasn't feeling what I was feeling.

"You know, I used to dream about moving to the states? Portland to be exact. Little breweries, rain and cold weather, nature. It's an earth-tone city to me." I smiled and he chuckled, his eyes looking over my face.