1 The beginning of the end

I cautiously navigated my way through the dimly lit and damp tunnel, my senses alert for any sound that could provide a clue.

Despite my familiarity with such scenarios, an uneasy tension gripped me as I surveyed my surroundings. Suddenly, a distinct clatter echoed through the air, prompting an immediate surge of adrenaline. Without hesitation, I sprinted towards the source.

And there he is, so helpless and frightened. Nowhere to run, no escape. A smirk crept across my face as I realized I had my prey within my grasp.

Without hesitation, I pounced upon him, swiftly cutting his throat with my trusty blade. The cold crimson liquid splattered across my face, prompting me to swiftly wipe it away with my hand.

Another one dead, there's not much left.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Why would they have kept 40 mummies in their own house?"

I furrowed my brows as I scrolled down the website, eager to uncover more information. "Hold on a second... The old Italian woman residing there actually believed they were living beings and took the time to dress them up to protect them from catching a cold" A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips, that's kind of sweet.

Suddenly, a series of urgent knocks interrupted my thoughts. "Yes?" I called out.

A thrilled Seonghwa burst into my office, practically sprinting towards me. "You won't believe it!"

"What?" Working in a museum, you hear and see a lot of things, so I wonder what's going on today.

His eyes gleaming, Seonghwa exclaimed, "They've discovered a magnificent castle in Serbia, and inside it, they've unearthed a coffin! The director wants our entire crew to go and witness it firsthand!"

"Cool" I replied, my attention focused back on the computer screen. Seonghwa plopped down on the chair beside me, causing me to be squeezed to the side. He eagerly grabbed the computer mouse, urging me to take a look.

"Check this out," He exclaimed, displaying a collection of gothic architecture pictures. "I know you're into this stuff"

He proceeded to show me images ranging from the grand castle to the intricate coffin. "We're catching a flight tomorrow, but we'll only be there for two days though" He informed me.

"Alright, it's better this way. We still have to prepare for the Tutankhamun exhibition" I reminded him.

"I'm sure it's going to be fun, you're always cooped up in your office these days. I think it's going to be a great opportunity since it's been a long time that we've been on a trip," He said, giving my shoulder a reassuring pat and a warm smile. "Remember our university days?"

"Yeah, I kinda miss that time" I sighed.

He nodded in agreement. "Indeed, I miss it too"

I reminisce about the time during our university days when Seonghwa and I embarked on an unforgettable class trip. Our destination led us deep into the heart of an Egyptian pyramid, where we stumbled upon an astonishing discovery - a whole preserved mummy. From that moment on, it seemed as though the universe conspired to present us with peculiar artifacts wherever we ventured, ranging from mummies to bones and other remarkable finds. Our passion for archaeology led us to secure a joint position at this prestigious museum after graduating, propelling us into the spotlight of our field. We have earned a reputation as the go-to experts, receiving frequent requests from prominent companies to examine newly unearthed mummies. Our expertise is unmatched, solidifying our status as renowned professionals. We're just that good.