𝒳𝒱

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

Today I was dragged into learning the Omatikaya ways. Never did I imagine that their hunting strategies would be so different. They used a bow, while we had used spears and traps. They tracked their prey, while we waited for it. They hunted from afar distant, while we killed our prey only a few feet away from us.

The Olo'eyktan sons led the lesson of the bow to many young future warriors including the youngest Sully daughter, Läi, and myself. It was rather uncomfortable to be learning surrounded by children barely half my age. I could feel myself becoming frustrated easily as we learned the correct stance, and of course the future Olo'eyktan did not hold back on corrections.

"Santanhí. Fix your stance. It is too narrow."

"Santanhí. Bring your shoulders back."

"Santanhí. Your elbow has to go higher."

"Santanhí. Your body is too tense."

"Santanhí. Strengthen your core."

Enough was enough.

"Could you just shut up for a second."

I hissed back at him after his most recent comment. The chaos within the children became silent. Some children were surprised, some shrinked back in slight fear of the sudden outburst. And of course Lo'ak, being immature, couldn't help but bust out in laughter at his brother's stunned facial expression.

I just rolled my eyes and set the bow down, not very gently, and stormed off to find myself a tree to relax in. It was frustrating being at the level of a child again. I was once the strongest most promising warrior of my people, and now I hold no significance. Even my sister was doing better than me. The one I have to protect and raise. She fit into the Omatikaya like it is all she's ever known.

My heart ached to wield a spear. To hear the cheers of my people after once again bringing a meal that would help us through the harsh winters.

"Never be afraid Tanhí. You are strong. You will always shine the brightest."

My father's words rung in my head. I had always been the strongest, but here I am no more helpful than a child. You cannot live in the forest and be a warrior of the Omatikaya without wielding a bow.

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

I listened to the children cheer and clap as they would hit the target practicing their aim. Neteyam would tell them good job and Lo'ak would give them high fives. I wasn't too far away. I could see the children through the small holes of the brush. I could hear most of what was going on. After about little while, I heard Neteyam dismiss the children and ask his brother to make sure Tuk and Läi got home to their family.

"Santanhí?.."

I sighed not really wanting to face the boy. I was still loathing the fact that I could not hold the significance in the forest that I once did in the mountains. I felt my body shrink hiding behind the thick trunk and branches hoping that the boy would give up looking for me.

I listened to the quiet sounds of someone accenting the tree I was in. Not just someone, but Neteyam. With no hesitation I got up to increase the distance between the two of us once again. I listened to the countless calls pleading me to wait for him and asking for a chance to have a word, but I did not reply. Instead I felt my heart aching and my eyes tear up, realizing that every second that goes by I miss my home more and more.

Finally I collapsed against a tree. I hugged my knees close to my chest and hung my head low. I cried quietly and my body shook from the grief.

"Santanhí..."

I could hear the pity in his voice. I could feel myself rising in anger. Neteyam had it all. He had a loving amazing family. He had his people and his home. He had a bright future of the future leader of his clan. That was supposed to be me.

I felt a hand brush my shoulder and immediately I shoved the boy away with a hiss.

"Can't you just leave me alone?!"

He seemed confused.

"I was worried about you."

I scoffed. My blood was boiling.

"You have your people to worry about! Not me! I am not one of you! I won't ever be!"

Neteyam was doing his best to resolve my anger, but is attempts to calm me down were useless.

"You don't get it do you?! You have a family! You have a clan! You have promise and people behind you to guide you! I have nothing! I was the future of my clan! I was the hope! I brought us peace in the harsh winters! I helped lead my people because it was my future! And now I have nothing!"

I watched as his features softened and his ears lowered. He dropped the bow he happened to be holding in his hand as I yelled. As I watched him I could see the realization hit him. The fact that he had the role I once held. The fact that grief circled me and was laced in every breath I took.

But he said nothing. Instead he sat in the middle of  the clearing he had once stood, while I stood on the very edge of the brush ready to flee at any moment. His actions confused me. I felt my anger fade away and I was left with the pain of the loss I had suffered.

All this time I had been distracted from it. I had been worried about surviving and not about what I had experienced. Everything had caught up to me. The nightmares. The death of my parents. The defeat of my clan. The longing of what I once had. It was all there all at once.

And then I realized the harsh way I had taken it out on the boy in front of me.

"I-I'm s-sorry. I didn't me-"

"Come sit."

I felt small in the moment, but I listened. I silently sat across from Neteyam as I searched in his expression for what he was thinking.

"The wood of this bow was made from Hometree. The sky people had destroyed our home, but my people salvaged parts of it. When completing the right of passage, you get to make your own bow made from this wood. My mother carved it for me. Tuk found the feathers in the forest and gave them to me to put on my bow. It is similar to my grandfather's, who lost his life in the war against the sky people. He was a great warrior."

Neteyam placed the bow into my lap. I traced the intricate patterns with my fingers, feeling every once of the pure craftsmanship. I could feel all the importance that the object held for the boy.

"I-I..."

I tried to speak, but no words came to mind, and he continued.

"I have not experienced what you have, but I do know it is hard. I am sorry for the loss of your people and your parents. But you have a future here. You can be one of us. You can be one of the people and have a family again. I know it is not the same, but you do not have to be alone."

I felt his words within every inch of my body. I could feel all of the anger and grief fade away in an instant. Finally my eyes left the object that was held in my lap and I met the piercing amber eyes that held their gaze on me.

In that moment I realized...

Neteyam was the calm to my storm. 

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

Helpful Vocabulary!

Olo'eyktan- The male clan leader of a Na'vi tribe

Hometree- The Omatikaya's original home before the war with the sky people where it was destroyed