𝒳𝒱𝐼𝐼𝐼

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

I couldn't help but hiss a little at the presence of the guy. While my memory was still foggy I remembered those moments of feeling trapped. His name did not come to mind, but his threatening intentions did.

"What did you just call her? Who do you think you are?"

Lo'ak was the first to defend me. He stood up from the seat next time his brother, putting himself in front of me showing a sign of protection.

"Come on Lo'ak! Me, you, and your brother go way back! No need to act so harsh!"

I could feel my sister begin to move a little from the noise. It would be hell for her to wake up and listen to this dude calling us insults.

"It's just I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that you and your brother have taken in a freak like her!"

He laughed along with a couple others who watched the scene. All eyes were on me now. The supposed freak. I could feel my anger slowly start to creep up. Without words I slipped my sister out of my arms and into Kiri's, who immediately understood why. I was ready to defend me and my sister and our people.

I stood up cracking my knuckles. One thing the Omatikaya have yet to learn is that I am a perfectly trained warrior. Even if I cannot wield a bow, I can still kill with ease.

"A freak huh? Couldn't come up with anything better? Or are you just as dumb as you look?"

The guy, whose name has yet to come to mind, cocked his head in amusement and smirked. I was now standing in front of Lo'ak, Neteyam had found himself standing further away from the guy than me and his brother. In the corner of my eye I could see just how ready he was to pull either of us out of trouble. Kiri was now taking my little sister, along with Tuk, back to the tents. Everyone had began to disperse from breakfast, meaning the adults would most likely see the events that would occur.

"What even are you supposed to be? You're small. Weak. You do not belong here."

I growled at the statement. I could feel Lo'ak fuming ready to pounce on the guy any second, but I would not let them get in trouble for me. Slowly I stepped closer, keeping my composure, I roughly grabbed the boys ear and pulled him down to match my height.

"Weak you say?..."

And then there was a fire lit in me. Not even a second later I found myself kneeing his most sensitive area, and then landing a couple punches before he fell to the floor.

"You will never speak of me with your poison ever again. It seems you are the weak one."

I walked away without another word. I could hear Lo'ak yelling something about how I was right and he should eat shit or whatever. His brother telling him to shut up before the asshole threw a punch at him. But my anger was still unmatched. My body fumed and would not stop.

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

My body had carried itself into the forest once again. No matter how much trauma I experience out here my heart always finds its way back into the trees. I do not know why. It does not remind me of the mountains. It feels welcoming and open in the sunlight. At night the illumination is even better.

As I found myself walking without a destination, I came up to a small waterfall. It reminded me of one back at home. The body of water around it was peaceful with small fish swimming around. As I peered around I noticed that behind the falling water, there was a cave. I found peace in the calming darkness. The closest thing to home I had seen since we left. My fingers trailed the stone walls. Small freckles around the rocks gave just enough light. It was breathtaking.

This was better than any tree in the forest. The water that fell created a peaceful noise. One that drowned out all parts of overthinking. There were perfect places to sit and lay and admire the beauty. The freckled rocks were like the stars in the night sky. It is everything that I missed about my home and more.

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

I had to go back. Sadly. I trailed into the tent that me and my sister were first given upon arrival. I was glad to go unnoticed.

The first thing I found was the small piece of wood that I was carving. It was the first day I had met the human boy. The first day I had a full conversation with Lo'ak. The first day I had let anger get the best of me. Much like today.

I traced my fingers over the animal I had made. It was one of the first ones me and Läi had encountered. They were large, traveling in big groups. We had watched a baby and its mother bond from above in the trees. They were an amazing species. Something I had never seen before.

"Have any of you seen Santanhí?"

My ears perked up at my name.

"Not after she ran off..."

"Me and Spider saw her come back to the camp. She's probably looking for her sister."

"But I thought Läi and Tuk were with mom in our tent."

"They are."

"So where is she?"

"I don't know bro."

It was Kiri, Lo'ak, and Neteyam.

"What happened after I left at breakfast?"

Kiri seemed interested in the feud between me and that asshole.

"She beat his ass."

Lo'ak was laughing. He sounded almost proud.

"Dad is pissed though."

"Shit he's gonna tie her tail in a knot for beating up Erzawi. You know the importance his parents hold."

I felt my heart drop. Of course out of all the times I let my anger get the best of me was when it came to someone important.

"I'm sure dad would understand. He was being rude to her and her sister."

Kiri spoke up. I felt myself settle slightly. But knowing that I'd get in trouble for my actions, I did not want to leave the corner of this tent for any reason.

"Tsu'tey was a great respected warrior. Especially with Mom and Dad. His son holds respect with us."

"Yeah but it's not like she knew any better."

"She was once the daughter of an Olo'eyktan and a Tsahík. She was taught better, and our parents know that."

Hearing Neteyam's statement I felt my whole body tense up. He was right. I was taught better. I was taught to stay away from the parties. I was taught to keep the peace. I was taught to protect and keep others out of trouble. I was taught to have an eye on my sister. None of those I have done. I have only brought shame to myself, my family, and my people.

I was taught better.

I must do better.

Mom.. Dad.. I will make you proud I promise.

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧