38 ... prom

my best
friends
brother
38

blair

My dad had a sudden hidden talent for photography and today was the day I found out. After taking not so much time to get ready for prom because I wasn't really in the mood to go, I found my dad at the bottom of the stairs with an old vintage Polaroid camera, and the second I rounded the banister to be in his view, I felt like a celebrity on the red carpet with countless photos he started to take. Then I felt like a model at a photoshoot with the way he directed me how to pose or where to stand. I love my dad but I'm so glad he decided on another career path because my very own photographer would surprisingly be hell. But he was thrilled to see me in the dress he helped me pick out so I let him have his fun. "Dad you're gonna use up all the film."

"I have extra it's fine," He waves me off and I roll my eyes playfully just as there's a knock at the door. When my dad takes a breather to answer it, I sigh in relief and take a seat on the little cushion chair by the plain white wall I'd been standing at for about forty minutes. I haven't even stepped out to go to prom yet and I was already exhausted.

Fixing the straps on my dress, I look up and smile at Jalen as my dad lets him inside the house. I had yet to see him in regular clothes and today was the day. He wore simple jeans and a football jersey. Underneath his arm was a small box of beer that my dad happily took from him before giving him a fist bump. Those two have become the best of friends faster than any of the guys Dad has worked with over the years. A lot of the guys from the station were coming over to watch a game and I was happy my dad was taking time from work to have fun. It's been a while but Jalen takes him out of his shell and it's been really nice to see. "Am I the first?"

"Unfortunately not, the kitchen is going to smell like old spice for a week," I point to where the overlapping chatter of men was. Jalen chuckles and I sigh when my dad starts to get back to his photo obsession. As if there weren't already probably a hundred-plus photos in the film.

So I get an idea and stand up to grab Jalen's hand. He looked confused as I grin and pull him over to the wall with me.

"I've suffered for a while so come suffer and make memories with me second dad," He simply goes with the flow and wraps an arm around my shoulders while I hug him sideways. "You look beautiful by the way and lucky for you I have a suit jacket just sitting in the back of my trunk to cover you," He winks and I roll my eyes. Yeah, having a second dad wasn't as fun. "I'm not wearing it," I stood my ground.

"That's cute, but you're taking it with you."

"Daddy?" I send him a look and he looks up from flashing pictures. "You're at least taking it," He decided for me.

"Great so I get two of you for the price of two," I scoff.

"Yeah but you love the addition of me," Jalen says, trying to purposely mess up my hair to annoy me further. Sometimes I swear he switches from being a dad to an older obnoxious brother. "I think I'm starting to regret it though," My dad continues snapping pictures until another knock interrupts which makes him grow an artist's attitude.

When he answers the door, he steps aside to reveal Kaiden and I smile. Since I was unable to go with the two people who were most important to me, Kaiden stepped up and offered to take me. Before, I wasn't going to go at all but he convinced me it wouldn't be worth missing prom over Dylan still not wanting anything to do with me. He was right but I knew it wouldn't be the same. Until he promised to dance all night which of all things—besides advice from my dad, convinced me. Kaiden wasn't much of a dancer but when he did dance, it was always so good. He was seriously talented.