Chapter 14

Wednesday dawned bright and much too early for Lily's liking. General Agility turned out to be much nicer than her fighting defense class, but it still left her feeling exhausted.

And now today was another new class. Abilities class. She hoped it didn't require any physical exertion. 

Despite her discomfort, she did have a new sense of determination, however. She'd thought about it so much last night. About potentially getting kicked out for not being a shifter, or maybe just for her subpar performances in her classes thus far. 

But she didn't have anywhere to go if she got kicked out somehow... And she certainly wouldn't be in a better position to help out her loved ones from the Ahjuta pack.

Furthermore, she'd dreamt of an opportunity like this for years and years, and now it was here... she couldn't give up on it just because it was hard, or just because she didn't feel she was suited for it. 

Maybe despite her disadvantages... if she put her mind to it... if she practiced in off-hours.. maybe she could get to where she needed to go. 

Classes went from 9 am to 12 pm, and 2 pm to 5 pm every weekday. She wondered if she could fit her eating for the day in the 12 to 2 window. This could create a three-hour window before and after her classes for the day when she could study, practice, and work to be the best she could be.

And with that in mind, she got out of bed, even though it was only 5 am, so she could prepare for the day.

She was quiet as she packed up her satchel and headed out the door.  She paused only momentarily to slide a note through the gap under Anne's door, telling her not to expect her for breakfast.

"My parents were shifters," Lily said to herself in a determined way as she walked down the empty stone corridor towards the flight of stairs that would take her to the third floor and the library. "There must be a way that I can shift also." And surely the library, massive as it was, would have the answers she needed to make that a reality.

She just wished the sickly feeling and cough would subside.

'Shifters don't get sick,' said a thought in the back of her mind, but Lily pushed the thought away. Maybe this shifter does. Or maybe her enhanced immunity wouldn't kick in until she figured out how to shift for the first time. 

"Anything is possible," she said to herself, as she stepped into the incredible library space. 

The abilities class took the form of a lecture today. The room was smaller than other classes. And instead of desks, there were only 5 couches, and a table that the teacher, Mrs. Harristone, stood referencing her notes. 

The smaller space made sense when the second bell rang, and there were only 8 students there. 

Lily looked around at the others. Most of them, including Ryan.. who had a couch to himself since no one seemed to want to share, had either black or grey Class markers. There was one other with red, and there was one guy with light hair with a blue one, who looked like he thought he might be in the wrong class.

Lily couldn't blame him. There was a silent power in the space. Not just from the Lycan but .. from the group. Lily wondered what their rankings might have been before coming here. Future Alphas and Betas of their respective packs surely.

She thought of the Alpha of her pack.. her old pack, she corrected. He was easily one of the weaker Alphas she recognized now. She never would have imagined herself being in a situation like this. Not even to be serving coffee, and muffins.

She almost laughed at the thought but coughed instead. She couldn't help but feel like she was getting sicker. She felt tired and congested. And yet, she was determined to stay focused and take notes.

Mrs. Harristone told them about how abilities and ability control start in the mind and with controlling emotion. Lily thought about the book she'd been reading earlier, in one of the library's private study rooms, which said something similar about shifting. 

The teacher talked about the mind being like a field of wheat, and that we must learn how to create new pathways in unfamiliar directions despite the wheat in the way, and despite the unknowns that we all must face.

By the end of the lesson, Lily was feeling that even though she was one of the lowest students, it didn't mean that she didn't belong. Maybe she could do this. Just lunch and Energy Control class and then she'd have time to practice her mindfulness and maybe .. maybe the time had come for her to shift at long last.

...Maybe.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.