Chapter 30

Lily paced the forested space in the courtyard in her snow leopard form. 

Was she a Lycan?

She thought about what Sophie had said the other day at the study session that enhanced sensory abilities weren't common for shifters. And certainly not more than one.

It's just the label 'Lycan' seemed.. so far away from her somehow. She thought about her old Ahjuta pack. It seemed like a lifetime ago. Would she ever go back? And if she did, what would they say if she came back as a Lycan? Would they be afraid of her?

'Maybe if you don't start working on your control more,' said the voice of her mind.. but Lily ignored it.

It seemed like enough to be dealing with the idea that she could be a Lycan. What would it mean if she was...

She thought about Ryan. Everyone giving him so much space. Most of them were too scared to talk to him or else felt themselves beneath him. What a lonely life that would be.

'It wouldn't have to be lonely.'

If only the shifting law didn't get so messed up and focused on rankings and competitive living... 

If not for that, maybe then shifters could all just be happy and accepting... That'll be the day.

A branch creaked nearby taking Lily from her thoughts. A few moments later a grey wolf approached.

Lily knew instinctively that it was Sophie. She was happy to have a friend. Lycan or not, she could be at peace for a while. 

It was easier to let go of thought then. For a time, she could feel the peace that her animal form offered. She raced with Sophie through the trees until the first bell sounded for the afternoon classes.

It was with a heavy heart that Lily shifted back to her human form. She parted ways with Sophie as she made her way toward Energy Control while Sophie went to Strategic Defense. 

Lily had a bad feeling about Energy Control and sure enough, Mrs. Bernette decided to start with a quiz. It had all the things Lily was growing to dislike. Mindfulness and meditation are things she'd been preached about. And yet she couldn't seem to dive 100% into these ideas.

It was like what Anne had said the other day about her first shift. About how, according to Anne, she shifted because she was somehow able to believe that she could. And yet, the reality was that it could have just been randomly triggered by something... By her illness getting too bad maybe. Or maybe it was related to her being in a healthier situation now as compared to her childhood pack.

And yet, here she was being quizzed on mindfulness. Things that she was reluctant to believe in. She felt pushed into it and it made her want to avoid the concepts. 

She was glad when the bell rang at the end of class.

Unfortunately, it seemed Irene had something she needed to say. As the rest of the class started to clear, she instead turned to approach Lily.

"I'm required to offer an apology."

"Is that so?" said Lily. "Who requires it I wonder."

"Look, I'm sorry ok. Let's just leave it at that," said Irene leaning to one side with a hand on her hip.

"You don't sound very apologetic," said Lily. Maybe she wouldn't be so bothered if this conversation was coming at the start of the day rather than at the end...

"Well I am ok?" said Irene.

"What are you sorry about exactly," said Lily. "Being a self-centered twit, or for punching me? Or are you sorry you attempted to lay claim to a mate that isn't yours?"

"Just because you have more power now doesn't mean you have the right to criticize me," said Irene.

Lily felt hot anger. On some level, Lily recognized that Irene was a creature of circumstance. But.. it didn't stop her anger. It didn't stop her feelings of being overburdened. She hadn't asked for any of this. And Irene hadn't done anything but make matters worse.

A foreign part of her wanted to attack Irene. As if Irene's blood would satiate the ache of the negative feelings that seemed to pulse through her.

Irene stood frozen. Lily wondered if maybe she knew what was going on in her mind. And yet the hatred she felt for this shifter was surely plain to see, reflected in her eyes.

It took strength to turn away from her. Punching her wouldn't have been enough. 

It was easier to breathe in the corridor. It was better away from Irene. Irene who reminded her of all the negatives in her life.

Lily headed towards the courtyard. She wanted to shift again. She recognized that it was a conscious decision, but shifting was starting to seem more and more like an addiction— an escape from the intensity of her thoughts. 

Focused on her destination, intent on getting to the cool safety of the trees, it was a while before she noticed she wasn't alone.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.