Chapter 20

The morning had only started to become light when Lily woke in her animal form. She felt rested and alert. Far below at the base of the tree, Anne's tawny wolf was still asleep.

Lily thought for a while about what to do. The memories from last night came back so suddenly. Balanced and standing on her tree branch she stretched her legs. She wondered if she should wake Anne and ...and what? She imagined herself shifting back to her human form and standing awkward-like and saying something like "Ah, Hi Anne... um sorry, you had to sleep outside on the ground..."

And yet, she didn't really. Now Lily thought about it... she didn't know why Anne had come. And now... now what she desired most was to go back inside and find a private practice room to shift back in.

It felt wrong to leave Anne... and yet, the other option wasn't appealing. She'd talk to Anne at some point... just not right now. 

She thought about saying something about not being sure if she'd shift back naked.. but she knew it was an excuse. Her school uniform wasn't anywhere to be seen after she shifted, so it seemed safe to assume that it was shifting material. It made sense anyway in a school of shifters.

Maybe another excuse would become apparent by the time she had to talk to Anne...

With that, she leaped down from her tree with silent grace. The small wolf stirred slightly but didn't wake. And Lily took that as her opportunity to leap away towards the mouth of the forest.

She'd talk to Anne later. 

The courtyard was blissfully quiet

The courtyard was blissfully quiet. Then again it was probably before 6 am. 

It was strange walking towards the castle doors in her leopard form. Her shoulders seemed to roll in a lazy, yet intimidating way. She felt mindful of every step. 1, 3, 2, 4, 1, 3, 2, 4. The doors slid open as she approached.

If another student came across her, they'd probably turn and run the other way. But the path to her favorite study room was blissfully clear of anyone. A leopard walking along the stone corridor of the beautiful building seemed like an odd image, but in reality, it seemed somehow fitting. 

She worried about when she reached the study room because she wasn't sure how she'd manage to open the door... but it turned out to be a simple task. Jumping to stand slightly on her hind legs, the handle turned easily under the weight of one of her massive paws. 

Once inside she leaned against the back of the door, pushing it closed. She wouldn't be able to lock it in this form.. and yet.. no one would be coming here at 6 in the morning. She felt a degree of safety. She was grateful she could attempt to shift back away from prying eyes. 

She wasn't entirely sure how to shift back, but she needn't have worried. The change came easily and smoothly. There was no pain. Her school uniform returned to her human form.

It was a strange thing to be back in her human form. So strange in fact that she found herself locking the door to the study room, and turning off the light so it would appear unoccupied from the tiny window that faced the corridor outside. 

She liked this room because of the comfortable foam rug and bean-filled chairs. She liked the relaxing texture of the wooden siding on the walls. But today she just sat in the furthest corner of the rug and hugged her knees to her chest. 

She thought about so many things. She thought about her old pack and old friends. She thought about how she felt like a different person. Perhaps more stubborn, and rebellious, but more powerful also. 

She had done it! After all these years... It felt surreal. 

She thought about how wonderful it felt to be in her second form.

She wondered how much more work was to come now that she had shifted. How hard would it be to control the new form.. the new power and potentially new magic that comes with this new form? 

She thought about trying to shift back again now.. as if to practice.. but she felt too tired to try. 

It took some time to get reaccustomed to the school schedule again. 'Today is Wednesday,' she reminded herself. She'd have Abilities Class, and then Energy Control after lunch... 

She wondered what her teachers and Anne might say. Would she be in trouble for missing class? Would Anne be mad that she ditched her this morning?

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.