Chapter 15

The dining hall was already crowded for lunch by the time Lily arrived. She could see Anne and Sophie sitting at one of the more central tables as she went towards the tray and dishware. But before she got more than two steps toward it, a voice stopped her.

"I meant to give this to you," said a deep voice. And sensing the power, she knew who it would be.

She turned to see Ryan standing back a bit. It was a moment's pause before he held out an envelope. She hesitated to break eye contact to take the message. It wasn't for dominance reasons but instead .. defense. She couldn't be sure if he'd attack or something if she looked away. And yet... there was no reason for him to be attacking her. Particularly not in the middle of the crowded eating area. 

She glanced at the note in his hand before her eyes jumped back to his face. She thought about 'accidentally' brushing one of her fingers against his hand as she went to take the note... that would confirm they weren't mates at least. Only.. she couldn't bring herself to do it. He would have known what she was doing, and she wasn't sure if she could handle the embarrassment.

Her eyes seemed to soften before she adjusted her gaze and took the note from him. 

"Thanks," she said, but it almost sounded like a question.

"Don't mention it," he said, turning towards the buffet. 

Lily tucked the message away not wanting to read it here where there were so many other students. 

It was a few minutes later when she joined her friends with her food in hand. She tried to blend in best she could, and act as if what just happened was not significant. But that didn't stop other students from looking at her with intrigue as she passed.

"Exchanging love letters already!" said Anne the moment Lily sat down.

"Oh shut it!" said Lily. "The rumors are bad enough without you saying things like that."

"You know the Lycan?" said Sophie leaning in and talking in a whisper. 

"Well ... no," said Lily. It was true really.

"They're like practically mates," Anne said to Sophie. "Haven't you heard the rumors!?"

Lily laughed. "There will be rumors if you keep on like that Anne."

"So you're not mates?" Sophie said to Lily.

"No. Definitely not," said Lily. "...I mean, I don't think so."

The forested Energy Control classroom was rather comforting and inviting. Lily knew that it was only the third day, but she was already starting to feel a sense of familiarity with this new life. 

There was something systematic about it. There was direction also. Something she'd never really experienced as an orphaned servant where the only escape was to get switched to another pack, or to shift. Two things that had always seemed outside of her control before now.

There hadn't been time to read the message given to her at lunch, but she did take a slight detour to her dorm before class to drop it off. She wasn't sure why. Just that it seemed safer somehow. She wished there had been time to read it. 

She was almost to a place to sit by a young tree when an angry voice approached her from behind. 

"You've got problems now," said Irene. "I told you to back off."

And before Lily could say anything at all Irene punched her in the face. The sound was sickening.

"I won't tell you again," said Irene with her mouth set in a snarl.

Lily didn't care that she was breaking the rules. She didn't care that she'd be missing class. She had to leave. 

She saw Ryan before she got to the door. She wasn't sure what made her say it, but she found the words spilling out before she could stop them. "Why don't you do something about your girlfriend?"

The trip to the infirmary was a quiet one with nearly all the other students either in classes or quiet study.

The infirmary was white and beautiful in a simple kind of way. The shifters that worked there were sweet and caring. They brought a pack of ice and allowed her to stay even though Lily suspected that it probably wasn't commonplace to let students out of classes because they got punched... But she was grateful for it.

They ran some tests according to protocol. But there wasn't much they could do about a black eye. 

When she did leave, it was nearly time for dinner, but she didn't feel hungry.

She remembered how just this morning she'd made grand plans to try to shift after classes. And based on what she learned about the significance of her mental mindset, she knew her odds of shifting had gone down the toilet. 

She decided to return to her dorm instead. Maybe a bath would help with the uncomfortable stuffiness from her cold and the dryness of her throat. 

Since the other students were in the dining hall, it seemed like a good time also to read the message that Ryan had given her earlier. 

She wished now that he'd given it to her in Abilities class instead of in front of Irene and most of the student body... Why couldn't he have just given it to her then? It would have been more convenient anyway. He wouldn't have needed to track her down...

She remembered his face as she left the energy class. Lily knew she shouldn't have said anything. It wasn't a smart move to say things that might anger a Lycan.

At least she wouldn't have to see him again until the Abilities class on Friday. Maybe she'll understand the situation and her place in this new world better then. 

'maybe,' said the quiet voice of her mind.

"Maybe," Lily agreed as she walked through the familiar stone hallways towards her dorm.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.