Chapter 31

She made it to the fourth-floor courtyard. It was crowded with students since classes had just gotten out.

"Do you see the truth now?" said Ryan from behind her.

Lily stopped several paces ahead. Her back was still to him. She felt reluctant to address him.

"You have to tell the school officials that you're a Lycan," said Ryan. He spoke quietly because their arrival seemed to attract the attention of nearby students. 

"Why so they can chain me up like Christy?" said Lily, turning to face him. "Yeah, no thanks."

"The school can help."

"I'd rather deal with the situation myself," said Lily. She wasn't sure why she was being so headstrong. Was this really who she was now? 

She needed the cool safety of her trees. She needed to be alone. And then she could heal emotionally. Maybe then she could process this new reality.

"The information will come out anyway," said Ryan. 

"Not if you don't tell anyone," said Lily. 

Ryan scoffed. And Lily could see why. The other students had formed a large circle around them. The reality was that everyone seemed to know already.

Lily had been the last to know, making her feel more alone than ever.

"You're not alone in this, Lily," said Ryan, as if reading her thoughts. 

Lily blinked back tears. She wasn't sure how much longer she could stand here. She needed to shift. She needed to run. "I need time to think," she said to Ryan.

Ryan stood quiet for a while before nodding. "I'll run with you," he said. "I don't think you should be alone right now."

Lily pursed her lips slightly. She could understand Ryan's logic though. And if she was honest with herself... she didn't want to be alone. "Alright," she said in a quiet voice. 

She glanced at the students who had gathered and felt uncomfortable. She felt different from them, as if infected, and it left her feeling dislike towards them. Dislike for the students who stood around eavesdropping on something that was none of their business. 

Her animal form came in a smooth and calming way. It was comforting like the feeling of rich chocolate dissolving on the tongue. Her emotions seemed to melt away then. Momentarily inconsequential. 

Ryan shifted a moment later into a beautiful black panther. The students gathered seemed to fall away as she moved towards the safety of the treeline.

"It's not my fault Lily, honest," said Anne, catching up to Lily as they left their Life Principles class. Most of the class had left already.

"You going to tell me what you've been hiding from me then?" said Lily.

"I-" Anne broke off. "I'll tell you what I can. Just not around the other students."

Lily considered her for a long while. She wasn't sure what to do. She felt sabotaged by a close friend. And this whole time Anne had been keeping secrets... Whatever Anne said now... how could she know if she could believe her? Would she be able to trust her like before?

As a Lycan, she felt ..rather numb. As if this shifter was a friend.. someone close... but from a different lifetime. And now... now who could she trust?

"Please just hear me out Lily," said Anne. "It wouldn't hurt to hear me out."

Lily nodded and closed the door to the classroom so that she and Anne might have a private space to speak. 

On some level Lily still really liked Anne. She couldn't know where her path as a Lycan was taking her.. but if Anne could be an ally, even if Anne could just offer some information, then it seemed worthwhile to hear what she had to say. 

"I'm the Alpha's daughter of the Brighton Pack. I have an older brother who's primed to take over the position of Alpha. But what of me?" said Anne. "Females are generally not well suited for the Alpha position. Not that we can't manage, but rather that a female Alpha can make the pack an unnecessary target."

"I don't see the relevance," said Lily.

Anne looked down and leaned against the ledge of the nearest table. "I was... selected. It was an honorable thing. To be invited to be a part of such an elite school. Not only that but to work with the school to help transition to the new governing order."

Lily stood. She looked out the large window positioned behind Anne. Through it, she saw the rocky detail of the mountains that surrounded the school. It was a reminder to her that she was in such a far-off place. 

"I accepted the invite to come. I wanted to come. I wanted to .. make a difference. And before then I was denied that opportunity in my old pack. The majority do not want a female Alpha. Especially if she has an older brother that can take the role... even if he doesn't want it."

"This is why I joined," Anne continued. "I needed to join. And you must understand that..at the time, I thought it was the right thing to do. For the greater good of the shifter population. To prepare for the return of the Lycans. To... maintain some manner of control over them."

"Why?" said Lily.

"Power," said Anne. She turned to look out the window also. "That's all that matters to them. And I was so naive when I joined. Believing it would help to keep my pack in good standing..."

"Doesn't it?" said Lily.

"Hm.. yes, but only so long as I do as I'm expected. Only so long as I don't make mistakes," said Anne.

"Then why don't you leave?"

"They have developed magic derived from an extinct line of witches. I don't know much about it, but once bound they can know if I didn't do what they ordered. There are different levels of strength. They must use more to bind the stronger the individual is."

"Is there a way to break free of it?" said Lily.

"I think there are ways to break any magic," said Anne. "But there's another question we must discuss first. You know that question..."

Lily thought for a moment. "If you are bound to the school officials," said Lily, glancing from the cold stone walls to look at Anne in the eyes, "How can I trust you?"

"That's the question, alright," said Anne. "And unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for it yet."

"But you will?" said Lily.

"I hope so Lily."

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.