Chapter 26

"They were overreacting," said Anne a few days later walking across the grass area in the courtyard with Lily and Sophie.

"I just don't understand why they didn't make such a big fuss when Irene punched me at the start of term," said Lily. 

"Maybe because it wasn't in front of so many people," said Anne, sounding a bit uncomfortable. 

"It seems like a double standard," said Sophie.

"Be glad that nothing came of it," said Anne. "Even that class you missed."

"They might be scared of pissing her off after how she finished that fight with Irene with one punch," said Sophie laughing. "Serves Irene right really."

Entering the inside corridor, Anne turned to take the path that would take her to her business class.

"We still meeting up later for ability stuff?" Lily said as she turned to leave.

"You know it!" said Anne.

"Can I come also?" said Sophie. "I could use some help with my shifting."

"I'm not so sure if that's advisable actually," said Anne just as Lily said, "Of course, we'd be happy to have you."

"What?" said Lily looking at Anne.

"Well, I don't know really," said Anne. "I just don't want anyone to get hurt is all."

"Don't be ridiculous," said Lily, wondering if she knew Anne at all. She hated to see others left out. Particularly after her childhood life as a servant. "It's just a study group. It would help to have a third pair of eyes. Tell me what I've been missing."

"I.." said Anne. "Um. Sure, we'd love to have you."

"We'll see you at 6!" said Lily. She'd been having such a hard time progressing with the abilities. She looked forward to Sophie being there. Maybe she could give her some insight.

"See you then!" said Sophie with a warm smile.

"Yeah, I managed it," said Lily, "But it's like I told you. It was triggered by adrenaline.. not meditation or whatever else."

 "Yeah, but you have to learn the right way to access it," said Anne later that evening. They'd found a new room to practice in. The biggest study room they'd found yet. The floor was covered in an elegant ivory-colored rug that made the big space seem warmer. The walls were painted dark red. There wasn't much light from the windows this late into the evening, but an intricate chandelier provided bright light, and rather reminded Lily of Christmas, even though it was still midsummer.

"Why?" said Lily. As far as she was concerned if she'd be able to access the abilities when she most needed them then.. that seemed good enough to her.

"Because," said Anne sounding exasperated. "That's the only way you can gain control over them."

"But if they're there when I need them-" 

But Lily broke off when the door creaked open, and Sophie's head appeared behind it.

"Sophie!" said Lily, "You made it!"

"Time for us to practice our mega-awesome magical stuff!" said Sophie, sounding rather excited. 

"You need control so that you don't accidentally hurt someone and in case you develop any more abilities," said Anne, in an undertone.

"Like that's likely," said Lily. "What other abilities can a shifter hope to possess?"

"Other abilities?" said Sophie coming closer to where they stood and picking up on the conversation. "You mean besides shifting?"

"Besides the enhanced senses," said Lily. "Anne has been trying to teach me, but it hasn't been coming naturally."

"Oh," said Sophie, looking a bit perplexed. "But that's not a normal shifting ability."

"Isn't it?" said Lily, looking at Anne. After all, it was Anne who said it was commonplace.

"Come on, we'd better focus on the task at hand. Let's start with the meditating route again. Sophie, you can meditate and focus on shifting. That can be an easier method I think."

The study time went smoothly after that. Lily still wasn't able to use the enhanced senses on command.. but she was relaxed after meditating for so long.

One thing seemed to needle at her a bit though... What had Sophie meant when she said that those abilities weren't common to shifters? 

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.