Chapter 42

"It's not enough," said Lily in frustration after her magic failed to entirely break through the binding magic.

"You have control of the magic now," said Anne, who was leaning against the far wall of the practice room to give Lily enough space. "Don't be so hard on yourself."

"There's no choice but to be hard on myself. There isn't enough time. I--" But she broke off. She hadn't told Anne something.. she hadn't been ready. "Ryan's been ordered to duel me."

"A duel?" said Anne, sounding uneasy. "Are you sure?"

"Ryan told me yesterday at lunch," said Lily. "He said they ordered it and.. and that he won't be able to stall much longer."

"Much longer?" said Anne. "Are we talking days? And what kind of duel exactly?"

"I... I think I might have a week," said Lily. "Maybe. He said ... " but she wasn't sure how to go on. It seemed so surreal still. Things had changed so irrevocably in the last few days. First, her new marker to reflect her status as a Lycan, and now... now... "He said we must fight to the death."

Anne dropped the book she'd been holding. "And.. they ordered this?"

Lily nodded sullenly. "He told me I have to win. He told me that he's too far gone from mind control. He told me about how once they have the first level, then they can order them to agree to more Racontool.. what they've been using for control."

"Holy shit," said Anne. "What are we going to do?"

"I'm going to magically become incredibly powerful overnight and then... um I'm not sure after that actually," said Lily.

"Holy shit," Anne said again.

"That's not helping Anne," said Lily.

"I know," said Anne. "It's just that ... Holy shit. Maybe you can just run away?"

"I'm afraid not," said Lily. Her tone was quiet. She couldn't entirely explain why, even to herself, but some deep part of her knew there was only one way forward. "The thing is ... I have traces of the mind control on me also. I can feel the order same as him. It's just that... I didn't fully recognize it until after he told me. It's not something I can just run away from."

"And anyway," Lily continued, "what good would running away do? This isn't something that I can just run away from. Not anymore."

"Sure you can!" said Anne. "Just ... just learn how to shift into a rabbit or something and then... and then..."

"And then live the rest of my life as a rabbit in a dirt hole?" said Lily. "What kind of a life is that? And how can I help those I love with my head buried in a hole? I'd spend my days worrying about when my past would find me."

"So..." said Anne. She paused for a long time as if searching for another way to avoid the situation. "So...? You going to kill Ryan?"

"I-- no actually," said Lily. "I can't.. or at least not if I can help it. I need to find a way to break the mind magic. And then... and then at least whatever I do is my decision. I can't just kill Ryan because someone has ordered that. I wouldn't be able to live with that. I just don't understand why they would order something as foolish as a duel. What do they have to gain from something like that?"

Anne looked uncomfortable. "Well... actually they have a great deal to gain from it.. and not least because there'd be one less Lycan."

Bound or not, the Lycans rule.

Sometimes fate can be so cruel.

The witches brew Racontool.

Before the time of the duel.

When cards are played for the school.

"Is that it then? The real prophecy?" said Lily after hours spent working to communicate the information. "You could have told me this sooner Anne."

"I didn't know sooner!" said Anne. "Not really. And I didn't think they'd act on it. It wasn't even relevant until they did. Besides it wouldn't have changed anything. Just stressed you out more."

"Bound or not, the Lycans rule," said Lily. "Well, this is.. good then right? Sometimes fate can be so cruel... hm wonder what that means? Cruel that the Lycans take over leadership? Or cruel that they have to?"

"Maybe both," said Anne. "Seems cruel that the shifters in power are so desperate to retain control."

"Cruel that Ryan and I will be forced to fight."

"The witches brew Racontool. Before the time of the duel. When cards are played for the school," Lily said. "So the mind magic, before the duel... I guess that's panned out. And the duel will decide the fate of the existing government?"

"That's how I understand it," said Anne.

"So.. what do they have to gain from Ryan and I fighting?" said Lily. Her brain was feeling like mushy snow on a summer's day.

"They think they've won. You and Ryan are both under the mind control," said Anne. "Or at least they think you are. To them, if you're both controlled, then no matter who wins the duel, they will retain control."

"Bound or not, the Lycans rule," said Lily. "So they think the only way to stay in power is to control the Lycans."

"I think so," said Anne. "I think they think they're fulfilling the terms of the prophecy. But that's their problem isn't it."

"How so?"

"They don't know you're not actually under their control," said Anne.

"But I am?" said Lily.

"But you're not! Not really. Can't you feel that? The mind magic wasn't sealed. It's just a matter of figuring out how to overcome it."

"How do I do that?" said Lily.

"The same way I told you months ago Lily," said Anne. "Sometimes you just have to believe."

"I wonder why they wouldn't order Ryan to fight Christy instead of me. They have more control over Christy."

"Isn't it obvious?" said Anne.

"What's obvious?" 

"Christy is not as powerful as you are Lily."

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.