Chapter 34

The room for their Lycan class was not like any other class she'd had. The walls were protected, but Lily wouldn't have known based on the appearance of it. The walls were covered in calming bamboo siding, and a fuzzy area rug covered the majority of the dark walnut floor.

Halfway through the room there was a midlevel platform. Behind the railing was a clean row of plants. Their vines and leaves hung down and swayed gently with the softest of movement.

Nearly a month had passed now. And Ryan had proven himself an adept teacher. And yet, it was more like an intense study group, with occasional homework than it was a class. It was nice because there was a sense of respect and equality.

Sometimes it can be so hard to define and see progress, but Lily felt it was there. She hadn't been feeling as triggered by adrenaline; Which according to Ryan was a great accomplishment. She'd also finally started to gain control over her enhanced senses.

Whenever she walked through the halls she reminded herself to practice. And despite her doubts that it would work, it seems it was working. 

This lesson she'd finally be able to start something new. Mind magic. 

"How do I start?" said Lily, after Ryan had set Christy a focused goal that would help her to access her second animal form.  

"Think of a fruit," said Ryan. "Think of its color, shape, smell... Think of how it looks shaded a bit when it sits on a table in the low afternoon sun."

"Ok," said Lily, "And then what?"

"Focus on it, and don't let your mind wander. The smell, and rich color... Think of how it looks when you slowly cut it in half... Is it a lime?"

"It was a peach," said Lily.

"Well, I was close anyway," said Ryan.

"If you say so," said Lily with a laugh. Ryan laughed too.

"We'll figure it out. You try now. Think about the process of thinking. The color of the fruit.. the taste of it."

"It isn't a lime is it?" said Lily.

"Slow down I haven't thought of it yet!"

"Oh right," said Lily. "In time do you think we'd be able to communicate like this?"

"I think so," said Ryan. "It's hard to say though. No one's ever really done it before. This is the best way to start at least. Smaller categories of things that we can focus on more easily. From there we'll hopefully be able to move on to animals, or common names. Start with the fruit though. Do you have guess?"

"hm, cantaloup does sound kind of good right now," said Lily.

"Wow, you got it," said Ryan.

"I think you're just better at sending the messages," said Lily.

"Maybe," said Ryan. "But either way, it's a two-way street."

Anne stood in the dark corner of a second-floor office. The two school officials who had come when Irene attacked Lily were there. But their faces were a bit obscured by shadow.

"She'd never buy it," said Anne. "You'll have to polish it. Make it seem legit."

"What's your suggestion, Miss Thomson?"

"Well... It's hard to say really," said Anne, feeling unexpectedly reluctant. "Maybe make something like a music box? Make it seem like she's hearing it from the source rather than some kind of unreliable hearsay."

"And you think that will work?" said the taller of the two men.

"I don't know," said Anne. "I don't think she wants to have anything to do with ruling or politics. Maybe the wisest option would be to leave her be for now. At least give her time to adjust more."

The men glanced at each other. They seemed to be sharing a thought Anne hadn't been privy to.

"You said she might be motivated to keep her friends safe from her origin pack?"

"I-" said Anne, but stopped. What were they saying? Would they target Lily's friends to control her? "That was a long time ago when she mentioned that," Anne said at last. She was hedging, but she wasn't sure why just yet. Just that something felt off now.

"I think we should do it," said the taller man. "It's our best bet right now."

The second man sighed. "I think you're right. But for something as important as this, I think we should make it look as official as possible."

"We can design a kind of passageway. Make it seem guarded," the other man responded.

"Even if there's a chance she takes the bait, it seems well worth the investment," said the shorter man.

"I don't know," said Anne. "If she doesn't want to be a part of it... Maybe we should just leave her be."

"I understand your sentiment," said the taller man. "But we must do what's best for the school, and shifter society. And, in this situation, the way forward is very clear."

"Unfortunately, we don't have much time," said the second man. "Can we count on you to facilitate the plan, Miss Thomson?"

"Yes, of course," said Anne.

"We can't afford for this to not work. You understand?"

"I do," said Anne. "We must act to protect the majority. And sometimes we must do unsavory things to meet that end."

"The greater good," said the shorter man. 

"I'll be able to hear the prophecy soon?" said Anne. 

"Of course," said the first man.

"All in good time," said the second.

Copyrighted material

Copyrighted material. All rights reserved.