Good Streak

Susanna

The smell of wet dog food wafted through the kitchen as Albert mashed it up in a metal dish. Susanna was sat on the kitchen counter where Albert had left her. The metal bowl trembled as he lazily dropped it on the floor. The echoing crash was deafening. Susanna scrunched up her nose and shut her eyes tightly as it pierced her ear drums.

"Samson!"

Albert's voice was louder than the bowl clattering to the floor. Shortly after Samson's nails pattered across the tile as he came trotting along. The dogs collar clank against the metal bowl as he bowed his head down to eat.

Susanna was on what Albert referred to as a good streak. It had been at least a week since this so-called; fresh start had begun. Susanna was learning very quickly. One too many cracks to the side of the head was enough motivation to behave. Albert had more strength in his forearm than she did in her whole body.

When Albert stepped up to the kitchen counter, he held up two fingers. There was brown slimy dog food dripping down his index finger.

"Open up," Albert said dryly. "We don't let good food go to waste in this house."

Albert held his finger just below her nose. Susanna went crossed eyed looking down at his fingers. She inhaled deeply and unhinged her jaw. She stuck out her tongue as much as she could. Just how he instructed her to when she pleased him orally.

She waited patiently. Susanna did her best to refrain from gagging. But it was hard when all she could do was anticipate the salty potent beef flavor that was about to tarnish her taste buds. The smell was beginning to dissipate. Susanna figured she was getting desensitized to it.

When she heard the sink turn on the far side of the kitchen, then she realized that Albert's hand was no longer at her nose. And in addition to the running water was Albert's laugh. He began chuckling deep, and low to himself. Susanna's cheeks flushed from the embarrassment. Albert turned off the sink and dried his hand. Albert tossed the towel aside.

"You really don't want to go back downstairs, huh?"

Albert spread her thighs and stood between her legs. He placed his hands on her hips. Susanna was starry eyed when she gazed at him.

"You have been such a good girl tonight. You helped me, cook, and clean. You were quiet during your bath."

"I told you I can be a good girl. See how good I've been since you let me out of the basement."

Albert grabbed her head. He combed through her ratty hair. He yanked his fingers through the knots. Then pressed his forehead against Susanna's. He leaned in to  kiss her nose.

"So, I should listen to you from now on, huh?"

Albert raised his brows. Susanna nodded her head friskily.

"Yes, yes I do." Susanna stuck her upturned nose up to the air. "I even think it would do you some good."

Susanna could tell that Albert was less than amused by the smirk on her face. It wasn't because of the way he gripped her head tight between his hands. So tight that she thought her head might pop. She imagined her head popping like a balloon, but instead of air, there would be bits and pieces of brain matter, and blood that spewed out. Susanna above all else could tell just by the look in his eyes. She could see just how annoyed he was.

"Do you know what would do you some good?"

Susanna's eyes got wide. She squirmed her face from him. She held her hand to her mouth. With her index and thumb pressed firmly together. She dragged from one corner of her mouth to the other side. As if she was zipping it shut.