Loyalty

Susanna

"Come on tell me I'm dying to know. What happen to daddy's good little girl?"'

Susanna raised her shoulders up and dropped them. She chewed on her lip, even though she knew from experience that pain wouldn't make the tears retreat; she was well aware that hurting herself wouldn't make her heart hurt less.

"I don't know..."

Albert had a bullshit radar, and he could read her lies from a mile away. He couldn't help, but poked, and prodded into things that we better left unsaid. He could have let her be, like a normal person with common decency, but Albert was not a normal person. He needed to know her truth, and he was going to find out.

"You... don't... know?"

Susanna shook her head.

"Yes, you do," He taunted in a low voice. "When did the angel... fall from grace, hm?"

Susanna closed her eyes. She nearly shuttered at the memory.

"I was fourteen," She started. "My year from hell," she added. "First the accident with my eye, and then..."

"And then what happened..." Albert coaxed her to continue.

Susanna scoffed, "And then... Paul Collins happened."

"A boy," he chuckled. "Of course."

From the inflection in Albert's voice, she knew what he was thinking. Susanna didn't blame him for thinking what he thought. But Susanna would say to Albert the same thing she told her father.

"It wasn't like that."

Albert didn't have to take off the mask for her to imagine the dirty smirk he had underneath.

"It wasn't like what?"

"I'm not stupid. I know what you're thinking."

"Believe it or not, but at one point I was fourteen myself, you think I don't know what kids do at that age?"

"No, no I was different. I didn't do that stuff!"

Susanna sighed, and she muttered to herself.

"Maybe I wouldn't have been so naive if I had started as early as fourteen."

"Of course you didn't," His sarcastic tone visibly upset her.

"I didn't do anything," she repeated hopelessly.

"Dad!" Susanna cried. "I didn't do anything!"

"I don't want to hear your mouth! Do you understand me?"

Her eye burned like a bitch. The scar was fresh. Even the cold breeze blowing against it hurt.

"Dad please," she whispered. On the verge of tears. "Momma?"

"Susanna," her mother sighed. "Listen to your father."

"No daughter of mine is going to be a god damn harlot!"

For a man of God, he sure used the lords name in vain quite often. Susanna's father wasn't a bad man, but he wasn't religious either; never had been. When she turned twelve, they started going to church regularly. And it felt like a fad. Something her father picked up to keep himself busy.

They passed at least four other churches on the forty-minute drive there. Over the two years Susanna slowly gathered the fact her father's boss also attended the church might have had something to do with his impulsive religious awaking. He wanted a promotion so bad; he'd do anything to get it.