Chapter 15

Author's NOTE: Hello, again, to my fellow peeps. I want everyone to know that I am truly appreciative of my readers and want to thank you for your support.

November was the last time I updated, and I want to explain why. A few days before my last post, my mom suddenly passed away. It has been extremely hard to get back to normalcy, and I wanted to start writing again to fuel my passion and have an outlet to keep my mind busy.

This story has not been forgotten, but give me a little bit of time to get back in my headspace as I have a crazy pairing I want to incorporate into the story.

With that being said, sorry about the grim start. Hopefully, this was a good read, as I have tried to improve my writing style to flesh out the story. I enjoy reading the comments, so give me some criticism on the improved writing.

Anissa's POV

Shila and I got settled in the dining booth, her quietly slumping in the corner. My eyes wandered over her, listening to residual sniffles. Before I could engage in conversation, the waitress swung by, smelling like stale cigarettes and bright makeup. She looks damn near as old as the burger joint. She coughed wetly, causing me to slightly curl my lip in disgust as I leaned back. That alone made my ass want to get up and leave, but my primary focus was Shila and see what the hell is going on.

"Hey girls, what can I get ya?" her raspy voice croaked out. She pulled out her worn-out notepad from the pocket. She jerked forward as a passing man bumped into her. He whispered out a 'sorry', continuing to the back of the diner. "Jerk. Sorry about that." She rasped, looking back at us.

"A water for the both of us. Shila, do you want something to eat?" I asked as I looked back over to her. She just continued to ignore me. "Can we just have an order for onion rings and mozzarella sticks? Extra marinara sauce, please, and thank you." I asked, sliding the menu to the edge of the table.

"Yes, ma'am. Be right back with those waters." The waitress, Beatrice, as I read her name on her uniform, collected the menus from the edge. I looked around the diner, which seemed like a relic of a bygone era, with faded rock posters advertising classic rock concerts long past their prime. The red vinyl booths were well past their expiration date, cracking under the pressure of many bodies that came and went throughout the day. The linoleum floors were decorated with old grease spatters. If you were able to get passed those minor details, there was undeniable charm about the diner. I sighed as my eyes came back to the grumpy teen before me.

Beatrice came back quickly, setting the waters down on the tables, before hurrying away.

"So you want to tell me what the hell is going on? Clearly, something happened between you and Sheila. And I do not want to play the guessing game." I said, sliding her water across the worn table to her.

"I really don't want to." She mumbled, sliding the paper off her straw before plunging it into the ice water.

"Well, tough luck. Nobody runs away from a few states over just because. What happened?"

3rd POV

The school bell rang, signaling the end of another long day of classes. Shila and Sam emerged from the front doors of the high school, their laughter echoing into the bustling hallway as they headed to the parking lot toward Sam's BMW truck. Shila was still working on her driving skills, and until she got her permit, she wouldn't get a car yet. "Bruh, that chemistry test was brutal," Shila commented, swinging her backpack in the back seat, before shutting the door. She hopped in the front seat, humming in relief at the AC blowing in her face. "Through all that studying, I might have finally learned something.