Side Effects

~~~Loki's pov~~~

It had been a little over three hours, and Linda was still unconscious, which was worrying, to say the least.

"Catherine, she'll be fine," I said, rising from my spot beside Linda's bed and turning to her as she paced back and forth. "Relax."

"I can't." She shook her head, stopping her pacing to look at me. "Not with the concerns going through my head right now."

"Like what?"

She sighed sadly before answering. "We know that Linda has Robin's ability. Or at least some variation of it. I'm just thinking about what happened to Robin once she turned."

I furrowed my brows, confused. "What happened? She seemed fine when we met her in 2043. Well, not fine, but not particularly different from the average person."

"That's because you didn't know her before she was exposed to the Terrigen. She turned at five years old, and according to her mother, she was never the same again. Before her Inhuman ability came into play, she was outgoing, talkative, and probably the most extroverted kid to ever exist. After, she barely ever spoke to anyone." She explained, wringing her hands. "Since the two were close, she only communicated with her mother."

"Okay, so she might be a bit more quiet-" She cut me off, and that's when I noticed the tears in her eyes.

~~~Catherine's pov~~~

"You don't get it. Robin shut everyone out. Everyone. All except her mother. For the simple reason that they were close. If Linda reacts the same, she will never talk to me again." My voice broke. "And that terrifies me. You don't have to worry about it because you two have the most indestructible bond I've ever seen. She adores you. You're the one she'll talk to if this happens." I swallowed hard, feeling the hot sting of tears welling up in my eyes. "I just missed out on three years with her. And now, I may never get to talk to her again."

Loki finally seemed to understand and walked over to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "That won't happen." He told me gently, wiping away a tear I had accidentally let fall.

"How do you know?"

"Because you're her mother, and she loves you. You didn't miss out on three years with her. You were right there, by her side. If anything, I'm the one who should be concerned." He smiled softly, trying to get through to me.

I knew he was trying to hide his worry, putting it aside to help me, and I felt so guilty.

He was going through his own things at the moment. I mean, he missed three years of her life. I might not have had my memories, but I was there. He wasn't. I can't even begin to imagine how he feels right now.

And that is far more important than my worries that Linda and I might not be close anymore.

~~~Loki's pov~~~

When I said I should be concerned, I meant I am concerned. So concerned that it's actually making me feel sick.

I was absent from her life for over three years. And now there's a chance she might never talk to me again?

I just got her back. I can't afford to lose her again.

"Thank you, Loki. I think I really needed that." She gave me a small smile, but I could tell it was forced. "Now, I'm going to go back to the evidence room. I think I saw something in there that can help get us out of here. Plus, I think it'll be good for me to get out of this mindset and focus on something else."

I nodded in agreement. "I'll keep an eye on Linda. If she wakes up, I'll find you."

"I'm really glad you're back." She smiled genuinely this time as she headed for the door and looked back at me. "I love you."