Enchanted (Taylor's version) - 1

"I was enchanted to meet you"

The room was lit with the fancy chandeliers father only turns on for special occasions. That was the first sign my day wasn't going to go well.

"Ah Harold, please come sit." He says, motioning to my chair in the dining hall. I cautiously walk over, taking my seat to the right of him. My mother sits on my left at the other end of the table, my sister's seat now dust covered across from me.

"Since today you've reached the age of adulthood, it is time to find you a proper girl to marry." He says, causing a slight shock to take over me.

For one thing I didn't know it was my birthday, they normally find such holidays tedious so I've made a note to not remember mine. Secondly, the fact that they expect me to marry someone.

"I'm only just turning eighteen, father. Couldn't I wait to be wedded until after I finish my studies?" I question, taking a drink of the water that was in front of me.

Today's breakfast consisted of multiple different pastries. Yum.

"Nonsense dear boy, studies are the least of your worries. Besides I married your mother at eighteen and I'm a fit king am I not?" He asks what I assume is a rhetorical question. I wasn't going to call him unjust to his face, certainly not, those are thoughts I only share with my pillow.

"I just don't want to come off as forceful when choosing someone." I try reasoning, really not wanting to get married so young, I don't even know what I'd look for in a woman.

"I went through the same thing at your age and your mother was delighted to marry me. We've contacted family's from all over the town and nearby towns and they've sent some of their daughters to attend a ball tonight in your honor. You'll hopefully have a maiden who catches your eye." He says, taking a drink of his tea.

I feel like I'm going to throw up.

I stood up suddenly causing my parents to look up at me with a startle. "I have to go, my studies." I lie, my father nodding in understanding.

"Goodbye, love." My mother smiles, causing me to smile too.

"Goodbye, Mum." I grab a croissant before exiting the room and towards the backdoor of the palace.

I open the door, peeking outside before running out towards the stables. I try to hurry quickly before a guard reports me for sneaking about.

I enter the stables, the place being dead quiet besides the sound of the horses moving about in their stalls.
"Niall." I say quietly, getting no response. "Niall!" I repeat a little louder.

"Hmm?" I hear from a stall towards the end of the barn. I walk down there, peering over the stall door to see Niall laying in a pile of hay, in his normal vest and paperboy cap.

"I brought breakfast." I say, tossing the croissant at him, it falling on his chest. He quickly opened his eyes, grabbing the food and sitting up.

"Thanks mate, happy birthday by the way." He smiled at me as he stood up. So everyone knew it was my birthday but me? 

"Thanks. I just got out of breakfast and father said he's planned a ball tonight and I'm supposed to find a girl to marry there." I sigh, running a hand through my curls.

"Bloody hell mate, that's short notice. But hey, you'll get your pick of all the richest and hottest girls around- I don't see the dilemma here." Niall says, taking another bite of his food.

"That's the thing, I've never really talked that much to girls before. What if I'm not any good at it?"

"Oh please it doesn't matter if you can talk to them, you just gotta woo them enough- which you shouldn't struggle with, and then you can talk and get to know them later. Right now you just pick which one you're attracted to." Niall mumbled.