Chapter 1

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 1

Cole

Everything here is under control. Tables and chairs are set up on the back patio. The caterers have taken over the kitchen. Flowers from Mia's shop are on the tables, over the fireplaces, in the halls and every room. I've swept the patio, set up tables, wrestled with the stage platform and unclog a sink.

I need a shower, five minutes alone and a beer. Not necessarily in that order.

Thinking everyone was occupied, I figured I could sneak out without one of the ladies catching me to do something else. I was wrong. Just as I reached the front door and wrapped my hand around the knob I heard the distinct clip clop of high heels coming down the hall heading in my direction.

"You can't just leave! The party hasn't even started yet!" A very frustrated Mia walked around me and stood in my way from leaving the house.

"I'm coming back. I know Georgia is a stickler about dress code. I'm filthy, I need a shower and a change of clothes. Then I'll be back. I promise." And I might be a little late but I doubt I'll be missed.

I'm not family. I don't even know what I'm doing here. I don't get involved in the politics of the town. I do my job and keep my head down and mouth shut. For some reason Georgia is determined to pull me into her band of misfits that she calls her family.

I don't see them plunging the toilet.

"Oh." Mia's eyes moved over me, head to toe, and saw the dirt on me. "I'm sorry, I'm a little distracted and swamped."

She still apologizes for everything. Mia has been a great guard dog for Georgia. She won't let anyone get through to her boss but she has a severe lack of self confidence when it's about her.

"It's okay, Mia." I touch her arm and give her a comforting squeeze. "We're all in this together. I know you're busy. I'll be back."

Stepping around her, I open the front door and almost step right into a huge bouquet of flowers. Every bloom says fall. Gorgeous deep reds cushion mums, dark orange roses and big gold sunflowers with all the greenery making it lush and stunning.

"Woah! Mia, I think Georgia has a delivery." I reach out to take the colored vase out of the kids hands.

"Uh, no sir. This is for Mia, not Mrs. Bradford."  Todd, the skinny kid who has never learned to brush his hair, says as he pushes the flowers to Mia. Shocked with the flowers, Mia accepts the bouquet.

Helping her out, I dig out a five for the kid and pass it on. "Here you go."

"Wait! Who sent them? There's no card." Mia asks, looking through the blooms for a card.

"Don't know. It didn't have one. You must have a Secret Admirer. See ya, Cole! Thanks!" Todd gave me a little salute for the tip and jogged down the walk.

"I don't know anyone who would send me flowers. This must be a mistake." Mia frowns, looking at the mums. "I don't have these in stock..."

"Oh! What beautiful flowers!" Brynn came up behind Mia with a grin on her face. Her golden hair curled and rolled into some sort of knot at the base of her neck. Those big doe eyes sparkling with joy, matching the amber color of her dress. "Now do you have a man you haven't told me about, Mia? Someone must be very taken with you!"

"I don't know." Mia looks at her then back at me. "I don't think these are for me."

She barely got the words out when I saw it. A big yellow and black bee, crawling out of the bouquet then another appeared, and another. They began to crawl across Mia's hand before I could move. She felt them. Jerking her hand at the contact, Mia got stung several times as the bees went after her. She cried out and dropped the vase, sending it crashing to the floor. Bees flew out of the bouquet, more than I expected could hide in there. Soon they were swarming around Mia as she screamed and swatted at them.